Sold the 35mm Summilux ASPH - buy the 35mm f/1.2 Nokton?

Maybe you should try the first 35mm Summicron, the one with the 8 elements.

Leica M2, Summicron 35mm f/2 (8 elements), TriX printed on Ilford MGIV fb.

Erik.

3942669950_61d951232c_b.jpg

For the sake of closure, I ended up with the Nokton and the 35mm f/2.5 Pancake. And I even have enough money for a 50mm lens - which I will be posting about in another thread. Thank you all!

good work zeb! to me the 35mm f1.2 nokton is an amazing lens, at any price, so it's all the more amazing for being comparatively inexpensive. In 35mm RF lenses, I own the 35mm f1.2, the 35mm f2.5 pancake II, and until I lost it a 35mm summicron asph.

for me, the larger size of the big nokton was/is always worth it - it's the only lens I really need. The pancake II is virtually never used, as it's too slow for my usual available light use. I liked the 35mm summicron asph quite a lot, but only as a secondary compact lens to the nokton as my main lens.

taken on the f1.2 nokton:

the 35 lux pre-asph is my personal favourite, by far, but reading your post, I think that the Zeiss 35 f/2 may be a lens which suits you well (sharp, no flare, smooth bokeh)

I have and love the Nokton 1.2. I was looking for a smaller lens that "drew" the same way and tried out the Nokton 1.4., and was surprised how different it was. Not bad, just different.

I then acquired the 35 Color Skopar Classic. While it was closer to the 1.2, it was still different.

Next, I got the ASPH 'Cron. Now, this lens, I really liked a lot. Small and smoooooth. It was a lot closer to the Nokton than the 35 Skopar in terms of rendering, but still very different, especially in the OOF redering. Of course, it handled a lot better because of the smaller size (and it didn't block the VF). It also attracts a lot less attention, but maybe because I got it in black and I have the chrome 1.2. ;-P

I kept all the 35's, though...

I guess what I'm saying is that lenses are all very unlike each other. You learn to like (and dislike) what each one does, and respect that they all do the same thing in different ways. Some days, you look for lens x, and others lens y. That's all part of the fun!

Agree with some of the others, try two lenses, I have the 35/1.2 Nokton for night/available light and , my favorite all time 35mm lens, leica 35/2.8 summaron, for daytime use. Great combo.

LOST IT!!!!

Please explain.

Hahahah tragic but painfully true. To make matters worse, it was attached to my much loved Leica M6 TTL 0.58x at the time...

Whiskey was involved, unsurprisingly. Was late at night, I was getting out of a cab jammed full of people, and apparently didn't notice my M6 slip off my shoulder (was slung over a Domke bag). I sure noticed it the next day! But then it was too late..

The M6 TTL 0.58x I recently replaced with a M7 0.58x, so I'm not hurting too bad there - it's everything I liked about the M6, plus some new tricks like AE.

The 35mm Summicron ASPH on the other hand I still haven't really replaced, which I do miss quite a bit although it was just a secondary lens. I got a 28mm f2 ultron thinking it would fill that job, but I really do prefer 35mm to 28mm. Some time early next year I think a ZM 35mm Biogon may hopefully fill it's shoes..

I admire the way you don't look back but keep marching on ahead!

When and if you do get the Biogon, it will be a love affair like no other!

Ouch! I hope it was a good single malt scotch or an especially good bourbon that did you in.

Hahahah tragic but painfully true. To make matters worse, it was attached to my much loved Leica M6 TTL 0.58x at the time...

Whiskey was involved, unsurprisingly. Was late at night, I was getting out of a cab jammed full of people, and apparently didn't notice my M6 slip off my shoulder (was slung over a Domke bag). I sure noticed it the next day! But then it was too late..

The M6 TTL 0.58x I recently replaced with a M7 0.58x, so I'm not hurting too bad there - it's everything I liked about the M6, plus some new tricks like AE.

The 35mm Summicron ASPH on the other hand I still haven't really replaced, which I do miss quite a bit although it was just a secondary lens. I got a 28mm f2 ultron thinking it would fill that job, but I really do prefer 35mm to 28mm. Some time early next year I think a ZM 35mm Biogon may hopefully fill it's shoes..

Actually I hope it was a good Jameson since he spelled it whiskey, the correct spelling for Irish whisky. Can't imagine losing a 35 ASPH though, aaaargh!!

You people make me regret going for the CV 35/1.4. I still have the 1.2 on loan. maybe I should start saving? I´ve the 28/1,9 as well, which is comparable with the 35/1.2 in size and weight, and is definitely my favourite lens, even if it is heavy and protrudes a fair bit from the camera.

I'm curious: do you take "better" pictures by switching from one lens to another? Or perhaps I should ask: does your photography improve?

I'm just really curious.

Actually I hope it was a good Jameson since he spelled it whiskey, the correct spelling for Irish whisky. Can't imagine losing a 35 ASPH though, aaaargh!!

Hahahah you're a good whiskey detective - it was indeed Jamesons.

For good measure, here's one of the last pics I took on that little summicron asph:

Back