Some Comparison of the Two Heliar 50mm Lenses

The good news is of course that both the f2 and the f3.5's will be available "on their own" as a limited production later this year. I have seen the finish on them - great "nickel" plated look to them. Same formula as the T 101 and the "250 Year" Bessa versions. Screw-mount too - haul out that old IIIc or f - or even a Canon 7!!

And just when I had my gas under control! :)

Thanks for the heads-up though, gives us time to save.

And just when I had my gas under control! :)

Thanks for the heads-up though, gives us time to save.

Fergus,

Will you get a 3.5 Heliar in Nickel finish or will you replace your M mount 2.0 Heliar with a LTM 2.0 Heliar?

I wanted the chrome 50/2 but they were gone when I bought my 250th anniversary R3M kit. A 50/2 in nickel would give me the lens I want, and let me keep the kit together too.

And the 3.5 is also tempting... should I consider both?

Look at me, already attempting to justify buying both!!! This site is terrible for gas... :)

I wanted the chrome 50/2 but they were gone when I bought my 250th anniversary R3M kit. A 50/2 in nickel would give me the lens I want, and let me keep the kit together too.

And the 3.5 is also tempting... should I consider both?

Look at me, already attempting to justify buying both!!! This site is terrible for gas... :)

Fergus,

I would not keep two Helair 50mm 2.0 lenses. One should be sold here. The 3.5 is also special. If you have the means, then why not?
I am liking your Heliar 50mm 2.0 better and better each day. It is great for portraits at available light [2.0 & 1/15 -1/30 with ASA100 film].

Raid,

That's a good point, and a way to fund (at least partially) the nickel 50/2 purchase. I wonder when they'll be announced/released?

You have discovered the beauty of the 50/2 at f2, perhaps after a few more months you will be the one to buy it from me?

Raid,

That's a good point, and a way to fund (at least partially) the nickel 50/2 purchase. I wonder when they'll be announced/released?

You have discovered the beauty of the 50/2 at f2, perhaps after a few more months you will be the one to buy it from me?

If I dislike either of the 35 1.4 or 75 1.4, we can talk about it, Fergus.
I certainly have shown how beautiful your lens can deliver portraits. The lens will sell quickly.

I am curious about a side issue, never having seen a schematic diagram for either of the CV lenses: Are these two lenses in fact of a true Heliar/Dynar design type, or are they perhaps of a different optical formula (if so what, and which lens?) that Cosina, now owning the rights to the Heliar name from Voigtlander, chose to label as Heliar?

both are really heliar design - diagrams are here:
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt/v-lens/v-l-m/h50-2-3.5/index.html

You know, it really is kind of nice to know that although not all CV lenses are the same by any stretch (and long may we enjoy the differences between them) it is pretty darn hard to go very wrong with any lens of theirs. Truly quality products without Leica (or even Zeiss, much as I love them) prices. Dr. K has certainly been performing a valuable service for the rangefinder photography community, which may well have withered and died without his support and overall excellence.
Deserved thanks, IMHO,
Larry
And while I"m waxing, thanks also to the many RFF members who help make all this so interesting, even when one cannot be out shooting.
LJ

Raid...

because of you... there is a CV LTM Collapsible Heliar 50mm f2 with my name on it... now I what do I sell to raise the funds...

Last edited:
Raid...

because of you... there is a CV LTM Collapsible Heliar 50mm f2 with my name on it... now I what do I sell to raise the funds...

I also have an LTM 50/2 on order.

Koji identified the 50/2 as being rigid in another thread here.

Looking at the cosina website here it does seem that the 3.5 lens has two different dimensions listed, whereas the 50/2 has just the one.

It may well be rigid!!

I prefer the rigid type lenses since once in while I may forget to fully extend a lens before taking a photo. As long as the optics are identical, I would not make an issue out of it.

Just thought I would show the new Heliars. That nickel plated finish is really good looking. Maybe I should make a matching M2 and IIIf. Strip the chrome and have them replated and beadblasted!

Last edited:

The hoods are the smaller, threaded ones. Effective and not to big. Neither of these lenses are flare prone anyway. Just got these today - so one M2 is loaded and with the 50f2 and a Canon L1 with the 50f3.5. Not raining either - so out we go!

Last edited:

The hoods are the smaller, threaded ones. Effective and not to big. Neither of these lenses are flare prone anyway. Just got these today - so one M2 is loaded and with the 50f2 and a Canon L1 with the 50f3.5. Not raining either - so out we go!

You are a lucky dude, Tom.
Enjoy these two beauties.

Of course, I could now start doing a test between the various Heliars. I now have 3 50f3.5's and 2 50f2's. One is the 50f3.5 on my T 101 Bessa, one is the SC mount on a Bessa R2S and the new, nickel plated one. I have one "stock" 50f2 Heliar from the "250" anniversary and the nickel plated one. A plethora of Heliars.
The nickel plate versions are almost "jewel" like! I know that it doesn't make any difference in performance - but they do look really nice.
10 rolls hanging up to dry - a couple shot with the new ones. looking good on wet negs - though that is not the best way of judging quality - I know.

Back