Some new photos from Fort Wayne

7-10-23-flyingcircus-1.jpg

7-10-23-flyingcircus-2.jpg

The Flying Circus, a ride at the 2023 Three Rivers Festival carnival.

This is a swing carousel. Riders sit in seats suspended from the top of the ride with chains, like a backyard swing set. When it spins, the seats are propelled outward by centrifugal force. I photographed it at dusk as the last light of the evening was fading.

The Three Rivers Festival takes place for 10 days in July at Headwaters Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

7-10-23
I hope folks choose to enjoy this ride before they visit "Junk Food Alley".

5-27-23-cemetery.jpg

An American flag decorates a Civil War veteran's grave at the Christian Union Cemetery, next to the Christian Union Church on County Road 7, just north of State Road 8, in rural DeKalb County, Indiana.

The flag is mounted on a holder with the Grand Army Of The Republic star. The G.A.R. was an organization of Union Army veterans formed after the Civil War. This was a couple of days before Memorial Day, a Holiday honoring those who died serving in the U.S. Military. Though many of the graves in the cemetery had flags on them, it surprised me to see that someone was still tending a grave from the late 19th Century.

The tombstone is badly worn. I could not read the name of the man buried here; but I could make out that he served with the 15th Ohio Infantry Regiment.

5-27-23

7-10-23-beerbust.jpg

A carny juggles balls while he waits for the next player at the 2023 Three Rivers Festival carnival. His game is called Bier Büste, which means Beer Bust in German. Players win by throwing the ball at beer bottles and breaking them.

The Three Rivers Festival takes place for 10 days in July at Headwaters Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

7-10-23

7-13-23-flyingcircus-1.jpg

Abstract streaks of light from the motion of the Flying Circus, a ride at the 2023 Three Rivers Festival carnival.

This is a swing carousel. Riders sit in seats suspended from the top of the ride with chains, like a backyard swing set. When it spins, the seats are propelled outward by centrifugal force.

7-13-23

7-13-23-flyingcircus-3.jpg

The blurred motion of the riders on the Flying Circus, a ride at the 2023 Three Rivers Festival carnival.

This is a swing carousel. Riders sit in seats suspended from the top of the ride with chains, like a backyard swing set. When it spins, the seats are propelled outward by centrifugal force.

7-13-23

7-18-23-eaglemarsh-1.jpg

I photographed this scene on a foggy July morning shortly after sunrise at Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana. I was looking east, toward the sun, which was shining through the fog.

This scene is on the south side of Engle Road in the main part of the marsh, which is just inside the city limits.

7-18-23

7-15-23-kill-tv.jpg

This man was waiting by one of the rides during the last night of the 2023 Three Rivers Festival carnival. He is wearing a t-shirt that says "Kill Your Television."

7-15-23

7-18-23-eaglemarsh-3.jpg

Water vapor rises from the surface of the water on a foggy, but sunny, July morning shortly after sunrise at Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

This scene is on the south side of Engle Road in the main part of the marsh, which is just inside the city limits.

7-18-23

7-15-23-ferriswheel-1.jpg

Kids on the Ferris Wheel during the last night of the 2023 Three Rivers Festival carnival. One of the boys was looking at his smartphone while the ride was briefly stopped to let more people on.

7-15-23

7-15-23-cellphoneguy.jpg

A man making a video of one of the rides with his cellphone during the last night of the 2023 Three Rivers Festival carnival. This is something I saw so much that it looked like half the people at the festival were watching the rides through their phones!

7-15-23

7-15-23-bubbleshooter-1.jpg

7-15-23-bubbleshooter-2.jpg

This man was selling toys, including the electric bubble guns that he was using to fill the air with tiny soap bubbles, at the 2023 Three Rivers Festival carnival. This is the second of two photographs that I made of him on the final evening of the festival.

7-15-23

waynedale-memdayparade-8.jpg

City Councilwoman Michelle Chambers, who is running for re-election, rides in the back of a convertible with a gigantic dog in the 2023 Waynedale Memorial Day Parade. I think the dog belonged to the woman who was driving the car. It is one of the biggest dogs that I have ever seen!

Councilwoman Chambers was one of several local politicians who participated in the parade.

The annual parade runs north along Old Trail Road, from Waynedale United Methodist Church to the Prairie Grove Cemetery, in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

5-29-23

7-13-23-pantrybar1.jpg

The sign on the front of The Pantry Bar says "She Loves Me."

The Pantry is the last of the rough redneck bars and biker bars that once lined Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It is on the corner of Wells Street and Fourth Street.

The building's windows have been boarded-up as long as I can remember. When I was younger, there were wooden music notes on the boards covering the windows. The building was painted white back then, and when I photographed it the first time in 2010. It was later painted brown, and is now painted gray.

7-13-23

8-6-23-cornhusking.jpg

This minivan was parked outside the Magic Wand Restaurant in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana. The License plate on the front of it says: "Indiana Corn Husking Association." Yes, there really is such an organization! Only in Indiana!

I photographed it late in the evening, shortly before the restaurant closed.

8-6-23
US license plates is something amazing for us, Europeans. I understand that you can put whatever you like on the front plate. That would be unimaginable in Europe - the whole traffic and parking control is based on the automatic cameras ability to read the front license plate. That's how we get speeding tickets with the "evidence photos", that's how automatic paid parking works - it reads the plate number when we enter/leave and we pay by entering license plate number into the parking machine.

US license plates is something amazing for us, Europeans. I understand that you can put whatever you like on the front plate. That would be unimaginable in Europe - the whole traffic and parking control is based on the automatic cameras ability to read the front license plate. That's how we get speeding tickets with the "evidence photos", that's how automatic paid parking works - it reads the plate number when we enter/leave and we pay by entering license plate number into the parking machine.

Some states here require both front and rear license plates. Most don't, but cars have a front holder because some states do need it. Speed cameras are illegal in Indiana; a police officer is required to catch speeders and personally give them a ticket.

Back