Some photos from Cuba

Leica All Day

Mentor
Local time
6:19 AM
I just got back from Cuba and it was interesting. I brought 2 M6ttl cameras, a 28mm Elmarit, a 35mm Distagon and a 90mm Summicron. I haven't got my film back yet from the lab, but I shot a lot of photos with my new phone (iPhone 11) while I was there and I actually like the look of the B&W settings.

Here are some cell phone photos.

Havana, Cuba
49359788426_9e35966403_b.jpg
[/url]Havana, Cuba by

Havana, Cuba
Havana, Cuba by

Santiago de Cuba
Santiago de Cuba by

Santiago de cuba
Santiago de Cuba by

cheers, michael

Thanks a lot everybody for the comments, I appreciate it. I went to the far east of the island to the city of Santiago de Cuba, because I wanted to learn about Santeria, the religion that was brought over with slaves from Africa. That part of the island is actually closer to Haiti than Havana, and it has a different feeling than Havana and I wanted to experience it.

Santiago de Cuba
49363843847_afd550eb8b_b.jpg
[/url]Santiago de Cuba by

Havana, Cuba
Havana, Cuba by

Havana, Cuba....I visited a bunch of government run bread shops and the selection made me sad.
Havana, Cuba by

Santa Clara, Cuba.....I was walking down a small street and I told this guy he looked cool and I asked him if I could take his photo, next thing I knew I was in his house having a good time.
Santa Clara, Cuba by

cheers, michael

Glad you had a good trip and returned with great photos. The libreta, sometimes referred to as a "ration book", is not to allow Cubans to buy limited amounts of otherwise unobtainable goods. It does allow every family to get limited quantities of basic goods such as rice, sugar, salt, bread, eggs, meat, cooking oil, beans, coffee, soap, toothpaste, milk and other necessities for pennies or almost free. Everything in the libreta is also available for purchase in the market (government) at subsidized prices. The libreta amounts are not sufficient to provide for a family's total needs but does furnish a good part of them.

Here is a ration book (supplies book).
49360085017_5cc2179865_c.jpg
[/url]Santa Clara, Cuba by

cheers, michael
[/IMG

"...I visited a bunch of government run bread shops and the selection made me sad."

I'd be very interested to know if they smelt like a bakery should. I still know few old fashioned bakers and the smell of fresh bread on the shelves does me a lot of good...

Love the photos, B&W seems right for them.

Regards, David

Glad you had a good trip and returned with great photos. The libreta, sometimes referred to as a "ration book", is not to allow Cubans to buy limited amounts of otherwise unobtainable goods. It does allow every family to get limited quantities of basic goods such as rice, sugar, salt, bread, eggs, meat, cooking oil, beans, coffee, soap, toothpaste, milk and other necessities for pennies or almost free. Everything in the libreta is also available for purchase in the market (government) at subsidized prices. The libreta amounts are not sufficient to provide for a family's total needs but does furnish a good part of them.

Thanks a lot Bob for all the info and tips before I went on my trip, I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to chat with me and answer my questions.

That info above is spot on, I had some good conversations with Cubans about that system. I remember a person telling me he got 12 eggs a month and I remember thinking to myself, that can't be right. I know there is a black market too, but from what I was told, a lot of Cubans can't afford the prices. I took a collective taxi on a 12 hour long,cross island road trip and we were having trouble finding gas. Three different gas stations said they were "sold out" and I could see my driver getting frustrated, then he went back in to a station and offered more money and all of sudden we had gas.

Hello Erik, I used a Tom A. soft release the whole time I was there and Tom was definitely in my thoughts. Thanks Ko.Fe, I haven't tried to print any of these yet, but I would like to.

Thanks David, unfortuanelty, the bakeries didn't really smell like anything.

Thanks a lot everybody for the comments. It has been awhile since I've been on a photo trip and it was my first time in Cuba, so there was definitely some adjusting going on for me. It took a minute to get adjusted to all of the differences, but once I got comfortable and I started using my cameras and getting back into the groove of things, everything just worked.

The supermarkets selection and variety are really slim.
49364841782_afb071802b_b.jpg
[/url]Santa Clara, Cuba by

This is definitely not one of those fancy, beautifully restored cars that tourists ride around town in.
Santiago de Cuba, Cuba by

I have a pretty good collection of photos take inside cuban homes that I took with my phone.
Havana, Cuba by

cheers, michael

Back