Someone Talk Me Into / Out of a Bessa R2S or Nikon SP.

das

Well-known
Local time
9:02 AM
Some time ago, I acquired a 2000 edition of the S3. I did it 95% for the new MC Olympic 50mm f/1.4, which is an outstanding lens btw. I use it often on Leica Ms with the Amedeo adapter. A++.

However, I also acquired a 35mm f/1.8 W Nikkor for a good price. The bad news is that I cannot use it on the S3. As glasses wearer not eligible for lasik or contacts, I simply can't see the 35mm framelines in the cluttered, non parallax corrected S3 viewfinder. And obviously no available, non cripplingly expensive tech exists to mount it on a Leica. So the W Nikkor just sits.

I am kicking myself for not getting an R2S when they were half the price they are now. I prefer a metered platform but the SP is an interesting alternative, albeit just as expensive in good condition.

Is anyone in love with their R2S? Certainly it can't be worth 1k. What do you think?

PXL_20230820_010059511.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Last edited:
The SP is ten thousand times more camera than the Bessa R2S. It is built better, has a more accurate rangefinder, has a 28mm viewfinder, and is more reliable. If you're used to the quality of the S3, you will be sorely disappointed by any of the Voigtlander Bessas made by Cosina.
I do like my R4 but only because of the wide framelines. Prob would not have considered any Leica-mount Bessa otherwise.

I do like my R4 but only because of the wide framelines. Prob would not have considered any Leica-mount Bessa otherwise.

Yeah the R4 would be nice for that. I've used Leica mount Bessas and they're just not worth the silly prices being demanded for them now. For what people are asking for an R2 or R2m now, you can get a Leica M3.

I once borrowed a R2C. It was a very nice camera for what it was and it worked very well with the VC Color Skopar 35/2.5 Contax Mount I had at the time that I had been using on Kiev camras.

That said, if I were to ever go back that way again, it would be to a S2 and a Nikkor 50/2.

I have a Bessa R2S. I use it as a back up to my Nikon S2 rangefinder. Having a decent meter is a plus. If you can find an R2S for a decent price, I’d say go for it. Yes, it may not have the build quality of a Nikon SP, but it’s got a meter and is a nice handling camera.

I should add that I have had no problems w/ using my Contax Biogon 35mm f2.8 lens (in Contax RF mount) on my R2S. So using your Nikkor 35 lens should work perfectly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea for another camera. 😬 I don't (yet) have any Nikon S/ Contax C kit but I'm tempted. I doubt you'll be overly disappointed to get a bessa or Nikon body to add to the stable. It will just add diversity and choice to your photo adventures. Of course I would also pursue an adapter for using the Nikkor 35/1.8 on the Leicas ... clearly this should be part of the fun 😎

Now, I sure hope those Bessa R2C bodies are easier to use than the old Contact II/III or Kiev III/IV bodies. I hate using those...

Some time ago, I acquired a 2000 edition of the S3. I did it 95% for the new MC Olympic 50mm f/1.4, which is an outstanding lens btw. I use it often on Leica Ms with the Amedeo adapter. A++.

However, I also acquired a 35mm f/1.8 W Nikkor for a good price. The bad news is that I cannot use it on the S3. As glasses wearer not eligible for lasik or contacts, I simply can't see the 35mm framelines in the cluttered, non parallax corrected S3 viewfinder. And obviously no available, non cripplingly expensive tech exists to mount it on a Leica. So the W Nikkor just sits.

I am kicking myself for not getting an R2S when they were half the price they are now. I prefer a metered platform but the SP is an interesting alternative, albeit just as expensive in good condition.

Is anyone in love with their R2S? Certainly it can't be worth 1k. What do you think?

View attachment 4825581
You could just put one of the 35mm finders that have decent eye relief, like a metal or plastic CV finder, or even the original Nikon 35mm finder on your S3.

You could just put one of the 35mm finders that have decent eye relief, like a metal or plastic CV finder, or even the original Nikon 35mm finder on your S3.
That was my first reaction, as well, with the added advice to make it a bright line finder for better eye relief. Even the best finder is far cheaper than the Bessa. I've owned Bessas, and never had problems, but aside from their excellent finders I found the overall build quality acceptable but unimpressive. Current Bessa prices are absurd!

53130081489_0e4ded8f75_h.jpg

53130353668_25f520a79a_h.jpg

53130081499_9a298c933b_h.jpg

Thanks for the external finder suggestions. Maybe I should find the parallax corrected Canon one so I can also use it on a VI. I'm still intrigued about the SP but I need another meterless RF camera like I need etc., etc. :)

The 35mm viewfinder on the SP isn't parallax corrected, either. It does have indicator markings.

I have had a few SPs over the years, and just acquired another, unexpectedly. Dropped into my local shop and they had one with a cloudy viewfinder for $199. Super clean in all other aspects. Took it home, cleaned the main view, now it has a very clean bright view with a nice contrasty RF patch. The 28/35 viewfinder is harder to access for cleaning, so it's still slightly hazy, but I'm not going to bother sending it out for service.

These are so good.

And yes, get an external viewfinder.

I once borrowed a R2C. It was a very nice camera for what it was and it worked very well with the VC Color Skopar 35/2.5 Contax Mount I had at the time that I had been using on Kiev camras.

That said, if I were to ever go back that way again, it would be to a S2 and a Nikkor 50/2.
I hate to say this.....but I have an SP and a S2. When I want to go out with a Nikon RF it tends to be the S2 and a nice 50.

Metering in rangefinders is overhyped. And all Bessa cameras I had were with finicky metering.
I have a Bessa R and it is pretty nice. It's not the metering that I find issues with....it's the rangefinder which seems to go out of registration pretty easily.

I have a Bessa R and it is pretty nice. It's not the metering that I find issues with....it's the rangefinder which seems to go out of registration pretty easily.
R was my first. It's meter was going nuts if light in
the scene was uneven.
And it worn out quickly outside, with sign of worn out on shutter blades.
My last Bessa was from few years ago batch sale. I took it to Chicago and meter was useless on the streets, switched to S16.

My S2 is clicking away after decades of use. To echo Chris Crawford's comment above, the thing is a beast. Cosina makes good products, but their Voightlander cameras were built to compete on price, not durability. And they were great to get into RF photography if the only other choice was Leica. Get the Nikon.

R was my first. It's meter was going nuts if light in
the scene was uneven.
And it worn out quickly outside, with sign of worn out on shutter blades.
My last Bessa was from few years ago batch sale. I took it to Chicago and meter was useless on the streets, switched to S16.
Yes, and they can stick to your hands! The Head Bartender suggested that I use gaffer tape and move on. Well, I cleaned it up anyway and it's very reasonable.

The 35mm viewfinder on the SP isn't parallax corrected, either. It does have indicator markings.

I have had a few SPs over the years, and just acquired another, unexpectedly. Dropped into my local shop and they had one with a cloudy viewfinder for $199. Super clean in all other aspects. Took it home, cleaned the main view, now it has a very clean bright view with a nice contrasty RF patch. The 28/35 viewfinder is harder to access for cleaning, so it's still slightly hazy, but I'm not going to bother sending it out for service.

These are so good.

And yes, get an external viewfinder.
Wow, that's a great deal. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to remove the top cover, though.

Back