Sony a6000 - long term?

Dante_Stella

Rex canum cattorumque
Local time
10:27 AM
I was looking at replacing my (what, 5 year old now?) NEX-5K with a newer Sony. Primary purpose is for video, but it wouldn't hurt to have a platform that can occasionally take an old Sonnar or current 25 Biogon.

What have been people's long-term experiences with this camera? The Sony will surely have easier files to deal with (DxO doesn't support Fuji at all), but the Fuji X-Pro2 will probably have split-image manual focus.

Any thoughts? Anyone compare focusing on an a6000 with, say, an X-T1? Anyone use the Bluetooth audio options?

Thanks,
Dante

I asked about the A6000 along somewhat similar lines some time ago. The Menu button on my NEX-5N has died, so the camera is practically unusable now. I need a replacement that is strong in video. I'm not too excited about the A6000, but it seems to be the most sensible choice. I'm now waiting for a super cheap offer (the Black Friday prices look good, but I'm in Europe), and at the same time keep an eye on a 4k upgrade.

I don't see how a Fuji competes in video.

Hi Dante,

I have used the A6000 with its two kit lenses and the 50mm 1.8 prime for nearly 9 months now and I am very happy with it. I have used it as a sports style camera and also a portrait and landscape style camera with adapters for my Canon, Nikon and Olympus "legacy" lenses. In both cases, I find the results, when I don't stuff something up, to be very good.

The shutter fires very quickly and there are two high speed continuous modes. I have found the ISO and sensor to be very capable in low light situations.

With the legacy lenses, the focus peaking and magnifier functions make life very easy. All my lenses have been given a new lease of life which is terrific. I am probably not experienced enough to comment on the quality of the files it produces, especially in relation to other systems such as Fuji and Olympus, but the results please me and I can always enhance using Aperture and or Affinity photo.

I have read some complaints about the menu system but I have got used to it. Assigning functions to buttons is possible and helpful. I did experience battery drain problems but after several charges from exhaustion I noticed an improvement. It is still necessary however to have at least one spare battery and I recommend you buy a wall charger as well.

I hope this is a help. Send me a message if you have any specific inquiries.

Best, Tim

The A6000 is a solid camera. I used it with E-mount lenses and a variety of Nikon, Canon, and Leica manual focus lenses (via adapters). I ultimately sold it, though, because the EVF doesn't have sufficient eye relief for use with glasses, and the EVF surround is a hard material that doesn't conform and lets light wash out the EVF in bright light. As for video, the video is great. Mine would overheat and shut down after about 15 continuous minutes of video, a common problem with low-end Sony mirrorless cameras.

If you don't wear glasses, though, or don't use the EVF, it is an amazing bargain of a camera.

One question - are you using external microphone?
As a6000 doesn't have dedicated microphone socket.
If it is mainly for video and no external microphone required I would suggest Nex 6 - smaller files, you can still find new ones for cheap.

I was looking at replacing my (what, 5 year old now?) NEX-5K with a newer Sony. Primary purpose is for video, but it wouldn't hurt to have a platform that can occasionally take an old Sonnar or current 25 Biogon.

What have been people's long-term experiences with this camera? The Sony will surely have easier files to deal with (DxO doesn't support Fuji at all), but the Fuji X-Pro2 will probably have split-image manual focus.

Any thoughts? Anyone compare focusing on an a6000 with, say, an X-T1? Anyone use the Bluetooth audio options?

Thanks,
Dante

One question - are you using external microphone?
As a6000 doesn't have dedicated microphone socket.

It does not support the pro audio adapters (XLR-K1M/K2M) either - the camera is well up to professional video quality (even more so with the latest FW update), but for similarly professional audio, you'll have to record on a separate device and sync it in the post...

There is no question that the 1080P video quality from the A6000 is top notch, and syncing sound in post is a no-brainer with modern NLE's. The two limitations, if you shoot continuous video (rather than short clips), is the overheating issue and limited battery life. I always carried four extra batteries when I had mine. If those limitations don't effect you, and you don't need 4K, the A6000 is a bargain for video.

It would be fair to mention that dedicated Sony microphone is available that is utilizing hot shoe connection.

Well, sort of. The a6000 is limited to the Sony consumer mics - so far the ECM-XYST1M (on-camera stereo) and ECM-W1M (wireless tie-clip). The professional audio interfaces are not supported and there is no way to break out of AGC. The available solutions allow you to up the a6000 audio to consumer camcorder level, but it is way below prosumer (unbalanced stereo mic/line input with manual preamp gain), let alone professional (configurable balanced inputs with phantom power), requirements.

Dante -- I tried the Fuji XE-2 and the Sony A6000 and for legacy lenses I decided I liked the manual focusing with peaking and mag/peaking much better on the Sony than the Fuji.

That pushed me in the Sony direction.

I've been using the A6000's for some time now and I like them a lot. I don't do movies, so I can't comment on that angle.

I found the Fuji XT1 easier to manually focus than the Sony A6000. The EVF is clearer and more defined.
Only problem is the refresh rate on the Fuji makes me physically sick in a short while, but I have no issues with the Sony.

If primary use is video..get the Sony. Fuji video is ok but Sony or Panasonic is the way to go for mirrorless cameras that do great video.

During Black Friday the price dip as low as 398 for the body. That is 50 cheaper than what I paid last Xmas (last years low). I paired it w/ my a7 as a backup body.

There could be a new camera out by first part of q1 next year.

Gary

I have been patiently waiting for the chance to use my old legacy glass on a mirrorless body. I debated between Fuji and Sony. When i saw the Black Friday price on the A6000 I grabbed one. I picked up a metabones m-e adapter too. I'm still fiddling but it looks and feels great. The video capability looks awesome. Focus peaking couldn't be easier. Long term? I'm not really sure but I don't really care at this price.

Some time ago I bought a Sony a6000 when Sony was closing their corporate stores in Canada.

Then a while later I managed to break my shoulder. Changing lenses was a real issue for me. My left arm was in a sling.

Went to the local photo store. I'm so grateful. They showed me a Sony F24240. I bought it. Took it home. It's several years later! Shoulder healed quickly. I still use the FE24240. It's only disadvantage for me is its weight.

I'm so grateful that Sony had this lens. I'm delighted with it.

DaveL
Toronto

Back