Sony a7/a7r with Zeiss SLR, Leica R, Zuiko, and other SLR lenses

f16sunshine

Local time
8:59 AM
As folks start getting their a7 and a7r Cameras I hope we can start seeing some images from SLR lenses.
It seems the focus :)p) on forums has been on RF glass which... likely is not the best choice for non native glass with this Camera.

Contax/Yashica, Leica R, Zuiko, and M42 Takumars have been in rotation for me on my 5D's for years now (I've used Nikkors as well but no longer).
Lets see some images from adapted SLR lenses on the new Sony FF bodies.
Thank you for posting your images!

Having just gotten the A7 (and using it strictly to mount M-mount lenses so far) I must say that I'm impressed. I think I'll have to pick up a Nikon F to E mount adapter and try the few lenses I do have that will function on the A7.. this just opens up a world of possibilities ..

Cheers,
Dave

Had mine for a week and been mainly trialling my M lenses. Have the Leica R PC28 2.8 and that works well. Have a project I am trying to finish for my daughter and once done I will post a couple of mine.

I discovered with the Fuji that buying (insert SLR mount) to Leica M mount to be the most economical way to convert these lenses.
For example now have a Hawks helicoid M-FX adapter for my Xpro1 and use a C/Y -M mount adapter.
It seems like a lot of extra bit's but in reality it works great and the C/Y to M adapter was very inexpensive compared to another Hawks C/Y to FX adapter.
ooops… I'm off topic :p

Images anyone ?

Would like to see samples from the Nikon 102/2.5 AI(s) (both Gauss AND Sonnar) as well as the Nikon 85/1.4 AI(s). Wide open would be nice.

The point of a camera that small is to be light and compact. Throwing a huge SLR lens on it kinda defeats the purpose.

The point of a camera that small is to be light and compact. Throwing a huge SLR lens on it kinda defeats the purpose.

Although I tend to agree with you. There are lots of threads for grumbling about shortcomings and goings…. this thread is for images and experiences!

Cheers!

I'm definitely a rangefinder guy, but I have to point out that not all SLR lenses are big and heavy ;-) I just bought a Zuiko 21/3.5 and it's similar in size to the VC 21/4 I had. I was also quite interested in seeing some samples of the Zuiko 21 on the A7r compared to the VC, and I must say the Zuiko won hands down. Sharper across the entire frame.

Other small SLR lenses I have loved include the Contax 50/1.7 and the Zuiko 50/3.5 macro is stunning. The Contax 85/2.8 is a great performer too and pretty light/small.

I shoot film 100% but am looking for a video solution. I am interested in seeing how the Zuiko lenses work generally on the Sony.

I'm definitely a rangefinder guy, but I have to point out that not all SLR lenses are big and heavy ;-) I just bought a Zuiko 21/3.5 and it's similar in size to the VC 21/4 I had. I was also quite interested in seeing some samples of the Zuiko 21 on the A7r compared to the VC, and I must say the Zuiko won hands down. Sharper across the entire frame.

Other small SLR lenses I have loved include the Contax 50/1.7 and the Zuiko 50/3.5 macro is stunning. The Contax 85/2.8 is a great performer too and pretty light/small.

I shoot film 100% but am looking for a video solution. I am interested in seeing how the Zuiko lenses work generally on the Sony.

The video I have seen ( I do not own one of these) doesn't look so hot. I think GH3 is probably still way ahead in that department - but of course it is micro 4/3...

This was one of the things I wanted to do with A7R which I just received.

Days of Future Past by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

Shot with Leica M2, Summicron 50/2 v5, TriX @ 400.
Scanned with Sony A7R, Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 + Extension.

This was a quicky using my MacBook Air as light box and phone as remote shutter release. About 1:0.8 magnification (this setup can shoot 1:1), quick edit of small jpeg "digital negative" on Lightroom.

R0300655.JPG

This was one of the things I wanted to do with A7R which I just received.

Days of Future Past by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

Shot with Leica M2, Summicron 50/2 v5, TriX @ 400.
Scanned with Sony A7R, Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 + Extension.

This was a quicky using my MacBook Air as light box and phone as remote shutter release. About 1:0.8 magnification (this setup can shoot 1:1), quick edit of small jpeg "digital negative" on Lightroom.

R0300655.JPG

VERY CLEVER! Great idea :)

The point of a camera is to do whatever you want with it, IMHO.

A7r+ Canon nFD 20/2.8:

nFD 20/2.8 by unoh7, on Flickr

nFD 20/2.8 by unoh7, on Flickr

The A7 is not that small, in fact it's almost exactly like an early Olympus SLR, so the SLR lenses (which vary like RFs) feel very natural on it. The nFD 20/2.8 is superb and cheap. It's lighter and about the same size on the camera with adapter as the CV 50/1.1 :)

No reason on earth not to use SLR glass with this camera. It loves them.

I do hope one day sony will make a FF the footprint of a nex-5. As it is the camera is quite similar in size and heft to my M6--though in truth it's 100 grams lighter: you just can't tell.

If one was trying to choose between a used M9 and the sony, I don't think size should be guiding you, because they are not that different. That did surprise me. :)

DSC05792 by unoh7, on Flickr

I had the same take on size as Charlie; the A7r reminds me very much of my Contax 139 only it doesn't have the protrusion out the centre front to accommodate the mirror box a film SLR is saddled with.

A C/Y - E, or Nikon F - E mount adapter replaces that SLR protrusion. Overall I find the size works great with adapted SLR lenses. For me I found these lenses a little large on the NEX-5N; on the A7/r cameras they feel just right (disclaimer I've yet mounted the heavier glass... early next week fingers crossed).

I can't wait to throw my C/Y Distagon 28/2.8 or Planar 50/1.4 or the Nikkors 20/3.5, 134/2, 85/2, 28/2.8 etc on the front of the A7r. And some native Sony glass too.

Unless you're someone that's been waiting, and WAITING, for a full-frame body at a somewhat reasonable price on which one can mount just about any lens in the cabinet! A7: $1700 and can mount everything from rangefinder to SLR to MF lenses! Everything else? A lot more expensive and unable to mount nearly as many lenses. Thus, for many of us, the A7 'idea' is VERY attractive! :)

Back