Sony A7 adapters

msbarnes

Well-known
Local time
10:47 AM
I have a Sony A7 that I use with a Fotodiox Sony A7 to E mount adapter. The adapter works great.

Anyways, I'm thinking about getting the Voigtlander vm-e close focus adapter and possibly some Contax G adapter.

For the Voigtlander adapter, does the close focus thing work well in practice? I have some 35mm SLR lenses that I keep for the rare event that I want to focus closer than 1m (I'm thinking 0.5m-0.7m, not really macro close). If the Voigtlander, and similar adapters work well, then I see little use for keeping my 35mm SLR system (I prefer 120 SLR's anyways).

What about the Contax G adapters. I think Metabones makes one. Anyways, how close will I be able to focus? 0.7m would be awesome.

I have the Voigtlander close focus adapter and it lives on my A7II except right now with the camera at Sony for screen repair.
This close focus adapter works very well with all the lenses I have used and it is a really well made piece of gear.
No experience with the other adapters.

The Metabones G is just fine for MF. That's one of the reasons I chose the A7, to be able to use the 45/2 and 90/2.8 G, as well as M, ltm, OM.

Not packing mine on the road this weekend (using OMZ 50 1.4). I don't think the Metabones G focuses any closer than the Contax G's minimum focus though. Look that up?

For my needs using M lenses (35-135mm) on an A7 the Voigtlander vm-e close focus adapter works great. Superbly made - and does what it claims to.

The Contax G adapters are limited to the original lens focus distances (0.5m on everything upto the 50mm and 1m on the 90mm and zoom), you could stack a macro ring in there too though.

the cheap manual adapters also focus slightly beyond infinity i found last night (started dabbling with basic astrophotography)

The Voigtlander is better made than the Hawks (the infinity seems spot on, so the lack of adjustment is not a problem) if you can afford it, it is the best option.
On the other hand it is quite heavy, and (surprisingly) the Hawks does focus a little bit closer while being cheaper.

There is also the Shoten helicoid adapter, anybody tried that?

i had the shoten helicoid adapter and loved it, 100$ cheaper than the voitglander but equally good.
i didnt experience any light leak on it and close focusing was handy allowing me to focus down to 30cm with some 70cm lens.
as soon i received my shoten and tested it, i quickly sold my novoflex adapter

Back