Sony A7 and Techart TA-GA3 Question

Swift1

Mentor
Local time
7:39 AM
Hey y'all,

I am considering the idea of getting a Sony A7 and Techart TA-GA3 adapter to use my Contax G Zeiss Planar 35/2.
Before I spend that kind of money, I need to make certain it will work with my needs.
I am disabled and can't use my hands to control a camera, so I am planning to get a setup that I can control via wi-fi and my Android phone.

Will the Techart adapter autofocus Contax G lenses via the wi-fi app?

The Techart won't AF with the A7...you'll need at least an A7-II.

Which wifi app are you referring to?

With the release of the a7iii coming, I'll be watching for an a7ii second hand with the Tech Art adapter in mind.

I'm curious about the app as well.
Sony's app seems to be mostly for transfer of images already taken.

The a7iii has touch screen focus ability.
It seems a more likely candidate to have app control for that function.

You don't want an A7, the camera must have on-sensor PDAF points. This means at least an A7-II, later models have more PDAF points across a larger percentage of the view.

To answer your question, controlling the camera AF via the remoteapp should work fine with the Techart adapter.

The touch screen on the smartphone can be used to choose the focus point, it shouldn't matter if it's a native E mount lens with autofocus or a lens on an AF adapter.

I have tested this with an A7-II using a Fringer AF adapter and Contax N lenses, works fine.

You don't want an A7, the camera must have on-sensor PDAF points. This means at least an A7-II, later models have more PDAF points across a larger percentage of the view.

To answer your question, controlling the camera AF via the remoteapp should work fine with the Techart adapter.

The touch screen on the smartphone can be used to choose the focus point, it shouldn't matter if it's a native E mount lens with autofocus or a lens on an AF adapter.

I have tested this with an A7-II using a Fringer AF adapter and Contax N lenses, works fine.

Thanks for the info.

Back