Sony A7 + Leica R lenses ...

I was thinking of trying one of the 28-70 or 35-70 R zooms and have tried to understand the differences between models, designs, and country of origin; but my question is which would be the best companion to the 40 Summicron M that's my basic A7 lens.

I usually use 35 Cron v4 on M9 and the 40 Cron on A7, and images from these lenses look consistent in fairly large prints. I'm interested in a supplementary zoom for A7 that would come closest to these in image quality - a 'classic' or traditional look, not highest resolution or highest contrast.

Any advice??

A Summicron-C 40 and an Elmar-C 90 make a near perfect two lens set for the A7, just like they did for the Leica CL. I don't have any zooms myself, can't comment on them.

Do a google search for Leica Lens Compendium by Erwin Puts. There's a free PDF available of the first edition ... It has everything you want to know about Leica lenses in it.

G

More pix. A few sea lions were lazing about in the water off the pier yesterday too.

All taken with Sony A7 + Elmar-R 180mm f/4

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

G

Wow! Fabulous collection. I never realised that the R lenses were so big. M lenses are tiny in comparison.

Thanks!

They're just typical manual focus SLR lens size, quite comparable to the Nikkors I have as well (although heavier in construction generally). The SLR mirror box is deep and forces lenses to have a different baseline shape.

G

OK, I found this notion very enticing and decided to give it a shot. I've got an A7 with the Kolari thin filter mod, and realized you could buy a very solid trio of R primes for less than a thousand dollars. I found decent copies of the 50mm Summicron, 90mm Elmarit, and 135mm Elamrit, and tried out the 50 a couple of weeks ago at my friend Adam's 40th birthday party. (Explanation: he was born in 1975, so all of us who used to be in bands with him staged a concert of covers from that year, and people were wearing joke seventies wigs.)

I'm pretty excited about this lens. It's sharp wide open (these are all wide open) and while the veiling flare is pretty intense, it has character.

Back