Sony A7 or RX10MKII for shooting videos?

Georgiy Romanov

stray cat
Local time
11:49 PM
Hello community! Help me with my strategy. Now I am actively fond of shooting video and my current kit is not very convenient for this: Sony A37 camera with A mount lenses (24-85, 28, 50, 100, 17-35). I like the quality of photos and videos. But the camera and the system rather sharpened by the photo.

What I thought to do. One option is to buy a Sony A7 first model. This camera has better performance for video and full frame sensor is good for my Minolta collection.

The second option is to buy a universal camera like Sony RX10MKII - slow motion, one lens. This camera must be good for travel and convenient to use in the field for documentary work. But to do that, I have to sell some of the lenses. I do not have a lot of free funds.

What you think?

If I remember correctly, the Sony A series (first iteration?) had limited time shooting because of heat dissipation. May be worth checking.

In the time of the RX10 II, there were a lot of comparison videos between it, and the Panasonic GH4. While the GH4 was overall more useful because of the range of lenses, the RX10 II was very well regarded as a general purpose video camera, as long as light didn't fall too low. It depends on what kind of documentary shooting you will do, and how low light will go.

Search Vimeo for RX10 II videos and you'll be surprised how good they can be.

I have had the RX10II for three years.
The slow motion feature drove me nuts.
It only lasts 2 seconds and in a couple hours work I was able to start it at the right time only once
It is plain useless
If you are serious about video I suggest that you consider a Pana GH5

Panasonic seems to be a common choice if video is needed in small and stills taking package.

If you will need help with better understanding of reviews , PM me.

This is what my setup looked like on my last trip to Japan on bicycle from Tokyo to Osaka.

japan_phone-00104.jpg

I lived in a tent for almost the entire month and worked on visual stories for my website and youtube channel. Inside a blue backpack are 8 kg photo and video equipment:

GoPro 6 camera with batteries
Sony A37 with 3 fast primes: 24,50,100 and 1 zoom lens - 24-85 + microphones, batteries etc.

Most of the time I was shoot on Sony DSLR with 24-85, on GoPro and on phone. I liked the picture I brought, especially from DSLR, but it was hard to carry all the equipment all the time and sometimes I missed the shot. Missed frames - the main motive for system optimization.

While I have weak financial capabilities and must thinking inside old Minolta A system. Even if I sell all the lenses, I can earn around 1000 USD. I do not know if I can get something worthy for that amount of money without losing much in the quality of the video.

I have watched many of your videos and most of them have fine quality for YouTube.
The only time it was bad then you were trying to transmit live and it was very bad signal.

I have watched many of your videos and most of them have fine quality for YouTube.
The only time it was bad then you were trying to transmit live and it was very bad signal.

Thanks, Kostya :D Yes, due to poor quality, I stopped the live broadcasts. I heard that there is a special device for live broadcasts with good quality.

If you want to save bux..buy an A72 or A73 respectively for their price levels..The A7 original is ok..just that the other two #2@ 1080p & #3 @ 4k are better for video..with the A72 being dirt cheep for what you get..and the A73 just a killer cam..
But that said..they aren't great on battery life..and the only 30min max video recording time in 1 shot..makes it useless for concerts and other events..as well as no flippy screen..
GH5 or GH5s is really a no brainer for video..and long battery life..and longer recording times..and the fully articulated screen too..and.. if you want to save more bux...get the GH4 instead..

Back