sony rx10?

Thanks for the link. It seems to me that the real strength in this camera lies in the fact that it shoots really great video (he didn't really touch on this much). The still performance seems a little meh to me; but if you were to simply consider this as a video camera, it trounces anything else available in this size/price range.

Just came back from playing around w/ my cousins rx10. The web does not do the lens justice.. It is biggggg.. It has a lot of new functions compared to my rx100.. Helped her setup her camera. A lot more programmable functions as well.

Since she is not going on her vacation until mid feb, I am going to ask if I can go on a walk around the local reservoir w/ her and c how it really behaves after she has had a couple of weeks w/ it. Get her impressions after she has gotten comfortable.

Like all the other RX family cameras, it has the intelligent p&s auto everything which is good for people who don't care about technique and enough manual override to keep the serious amateur happy.

Gary

Thanks for the link. It seems to me that the real strength in this camera lies in the fact that it shoots really great video (he didn't really touch on this much). The still performance seems a little meh to me; but if you were to simply consider this as a video camera, it trounces anything else available in this size/price range.

I look at it as the perfect travel camera which is what my cousin bought it for. Good video and still photography plus weatherproof. On the minus side from my perspective is a bit heavier than I would like but then again for a constant f2.8, what do u expect and no true manual zoom functionality.

Gary

it would be an absolutely brilliant camera if I could afford it right now. i don't really shoot long focal lengths but there are times when a bit of reach, with fast glass is a godsend. the traditional press kits are looking more and more obsolete by the day.

thought i'd bring this thread back to life with a question...wondering if anyone has since bought this camera, what do you think of it and if you'd recommend it?

thought i'd bring this thread back to life with a question...wondering if anyone has since bought this camera, what do you think of it and if you'd recommend it?

I bought one a few months ago. In terms of IQ, it's very similar to the RX100 (unsurprisingly, as it has the same sensor), although the lens focal range is rather different: 24-200mm (equivalent).

It's a very capable camera, and it does the job it's intended to do very well indeed. On the downside, I'd say it's a little lacking in 'personality' (hoping not to sound pretentious here!), but that's how I see it. Every time I use it, I find myself thinking just how damned good it is, and yet every time I put it away, it doesn't get used again for some time. It's difficult to put a finger on why that should be, but that's the reality.

If you're someone who sees a camera as nothing more than a tool, then you'll probably be impressed. If, on the other hand, you're the kind of person who likes to 'warm' to a camera, you might find it less satisfying. Just my thoughts, of course, and others might see it differently.

In summary: very good in many ways, yet somehow lacking a certain 'something'.

It's a very capable camera, and it does the job it's intended to do very well indeed. On the downside, I'd say it's a little lacking in 'personality' (hoping not to sound pretentious here!), but that's how I see it. Every time I use it, I find myself thinking just how damned good it is, and yet every time I put it away, it doesn't get used again for some time. It's difficult to put a finger on why that should be, but that's the reality.

In summary: very good in many ways, yet somehow lacking a certain 'something'.

That's exactly how I am with my RX100, every time I use it I marvel at what sorcery they managed to cram into that tiny body.
It's always in my street bag, but it can be a while between uses for some reason.

I've shot it away from home more than at home, and honestly I could probably do 99% of the shots I wanted to take with it, it's truly a special piece of kit.

I did a lot of looking at the images before I bought it, and it was clear then that the lens doesn't have a ton of character, but I actually view that as a positive in this case, it's a very transparent lens (as ridiculous as that sounds), the results look like the scene looked, and that's a very good tool!

I really don't need one, but I'd still love to play with an RX10

i like the idea of this camera and if i had the money i would buy one to try it live.

Presumably your local camera shop doesn't stock the RX10, or you would have already tried it?

You'd be welcome to test-drive mine, but I reckon that the cost of your trans-atlantic flight would buy you an RX10 anyway...:rolleyes:

Presumably your local camera shop doesn't stock the RX10, or you would have already tried it?

You'd be welcome to test-drive mine, but I reckon that the cost of your trans-atlantic flight would buy you an RX10 anyway...:rolleyes:

there is one at the local pro shop and i have 'handled' it but that's not the same as playing with it for a weekend or more.
i should see if they might rent it...

Back