Sony RX100 min. size image

JMQ

Well-known
Local time
10:26 AM
Hi, does anyone know if the Sony RX100 can take images smaller than 5M (and standard quality)? I ask because certain websites require a smaller image to post, e.g. RFF, and going through LR to reduce the image size is a PITA. Thanks in advance.

A random full-size (5472x3080), OOC JPG from the RX100 weighs in at 4.7 MB. Of course they may be smaller or larger, depending upon the type of image.

Hi, does anyone know if the Sony RX100 can take images smaller than 5M (and standard quality)? I ask because certain websites require a smaller image to post, e.g. RFF, and going through LR to reduce the image size is a PITA. Thanks in advance.

Per the instruction manual, 295 Standard quality 3:2 JPEGs will fit on a 2GB card. (Depending on the subject, of course.)

Why use LR? IrfanView will resize a JPEG more or less instantly. [I'm sure there are other bits of freeware that would work as well.]

Here's an extract on image sizes from the RX100 user manual (click to enlarge):-

Attachments

• Extract.jpg
    Extract.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for all you input and advice. It doesn't look like you can size it any smaller than ~4.2 M in the camera, and the only way is to resize on a 3rd party software. Thanks JRG, I will look at another software other than LR (irfanview will unfortunately not work for me as I am a Mac user).

If u are on a mac, just use iPhoto and under "file export" option pulldown, u can specify file size including a custom option which allows u to specify down to the pixel.

I use this all the time in aperture to create max files of 1024x1024. iPhoto will do essentially the same thing.

Gary

Another option on mac, if you were so inclined, would be to write an automator script which resized images through preview.

If you did it right you would simply have to drag a file or folder onto the script icon and it would produce new copies of all files at the selected size - the only disadvantage to this would be that you wouldn't have much control over sharpening etc.

Look here for more details: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_batchresize_images_automator

IN the image menu, I set it to Image Size-S: 5.0M and Quality - Standard, and get a jpg under 2 mb.

Of course this is a permanent small file. Shooting at a higher quality and reducing in anotherp rogram makes better use of the camera, yes?

I use Aperture and it will allow you to email directly from the library. You get a choice of three sizes in the email message window. Somewhere in that mess has to be the perfect size.

Back