Sony/Zeiss and Mayima both working on medium format rangefinders?

I've often wondered how you define medium format with a digital sensor? A camera with a 24mm x 36mm sensor is classified as full frame in relation to 135 film but medium format film can be 6x4.5 ... 6x6 ...6x7 and so on depending on the camera it's in.

I've often wondered how you define medium format with a digital sensor? A camera with a 24mm x 36mm sensor is classified as full frame in relation to 135 film but medium format film can be 6x4.5 ... 6x6 ...6x7 and so on depending on the camera it's in.

the def of digital MF will be as fuzzy as the def of film MF :)
simple: anything between 35mm "full-frame" and 4x5 inch is MF.
So practically, anything digital above 35mm "full frame" will be MF :D

I have a feeling it is anything larger than full frame.

For myself I call 645 a MF halbformat, 6x9 is MF full frame and 6x6 is APS analogue.

Sure with digital this isn't true as full frame is already too large for practical use (speaking of casual users) and above FX we talk stratospheric formats.

Nice but I'm already prepared for a major dissapointment in it's actual sensor size :D

I reckon it'll be around 6x4.5 at best, I mean at best literally - if they do a real 645 sensor it would be already a mammoth acheivement since all so called "MF" digitals are actually smaller than the true 645, just a little bigger than a 35mm FF. Forget a proper 6x6 or 6x7 or 6x9, noone of the manufacturers has had a pair of balls to venture that far!

Plus it'll very probably be another interpolating sensor, meaning a mathematical cheat to show off the pixel count numbers, not sure they incorporate an AA filter or not though to make it even a worse cheat. A proper non-interpolating multi layer MF is something Foveon (Sigma) should work on, or alternatively use shifting-sensor for each pixel to get 100% of information like the newer Hassies do, but the latter will be a strictly tripod camera in practice.

Can't be too negative I guess - good thing someone's at least doin' somethin' in digital MF :angel:

Taking a multi-aspect approach along the same lines as the Hasselblad X-Pan would keep lenses small and give e.g. 24x65mm.
It would also be nice to have the ability to mount 35mm format fast lenses ( accepting they would be cropped to 24x36mm ) .

Given the very limited market, I find this rumor rather suspect. That said, I would love to use my Mamiya 7 lenses on a digital camera, but that would not happen either. Digital medium format is probably smaller than a 645 format, so why use large heavy lenses with much greater coverage. So, generating webpage numbers is what this is about.

Well it would be nice at least if this mystery camera had a medium format aspect ratio instead of the ungainly 35mm letterbox.

Actually, #2 rumor in the Related posts is what caught my eye... until I saw that it was from 2009 :angel:

Rumor: Full frame Zeiss Ikon digital rangefinder in development

Well it would be nice at least if this mystery camera had a medium format aspect ratio instead of the ungainly 35mm letterbox.
What do you mean? The MF Sony 51mp sensor is a 4x3 aspect ratio, sensor size being 32.8 x 43.8 mm. I don't like 4x3 as it is here nor there, but some people like it.

That sensor is used by almost everybody making MF cameras.

What do you mean? The MF Sony 51mp sensor is a 4x3 aspect ratio, sensor size being 32.8 x 43.8 mm. I don't like 4x3 as it is here nor there, but some people like it.

That sensor is used by almost everybody making MF cameras.

All I meant was the classic medium format film aspect ratio (6x6, 6x4.5, 6x7 take your pick) is preferable to me than the 35mm film 3:2 aspect ratio.

...Forget a proper 6x6 or 6x7 or 6x9, noone of the manufacturers has had a pair of balls to venture that far!

Actually they have gone way farther, but unless you're a government with the ability to launch satellites, those sensors won't be at your disposal.

It seems that the 33x44mm sensor from Sony will be the most likely sensor choice as its in just about everything else. And while not traditional medium format, it is appreciably larger than full frame 35mm. Enough so to make a difference in IQ, scale of image, DOF, and emptiness of bank account.

I'm hesitant to disregard anything these days. I said Leica would never do a B&W only camera... and now I own a Monochrom. Never thought they'd do an LCD-less camera either...

What I would be surprised about though is if there wasn't a hybrid or EVF involved.

So.
I win the lottery & get one of these Cameras with a 51Mp sensor.
Would I need a mainframe to process the Images?
My old computer struggles with my Fuji X Raw files.
How much money would I have to spend on a new Computer?
Would I need a gigantic monitor to go with it?

So.
I win the lottery & get one of these Cameras with a 51Mp sensor.
Sweet! But just one?
Would I need a mainframe to process the Images?
No. Kids these days wouldn't know what a mainframe was if you even asked.
How much money would I have to spend on a new Computer?
Less than $2000 - Need lots of RAM and a large SSD HD
Would I need a gigantic monitor to go with it?
Yes and no. 24" should be fine. You would want a nice video card though.

Good luck with the lotto!

All I meant was the classic medium format film aspect ratio (6x6, 6x4.5, 6x7 take your pick) is preferable to me than the 35mm film 3:2 aspect ratio.

To me 6x9 is a very classic medium format film aspect ratio. Got 5 camera's putting that out.

Now I don't know what is the issue. Dalsa makes 53.8x40.3 already some time. And you can have it in monochrome or bayer. And they go to wafer scale cmos and ccd.

Back