Source for SD cards?

baader

Local time
11:28 AM
I have a real hard time finding cards for my RD-1, anyone have any source of cards that are certain to work?

I´ve bought like 4 different cards on ebay that supposedly are non hc but none of them worked.

You are aware that SD is limited to 2GB? Anything bigger is SDHC (or SDXC). On the other hand there is no such thing as a 2GB or smaller SDHC card - if you tried with a variety of SD sized cards, your issues will be with the camera or its SD slot, not with the card type.

I have one 1gb and one 512mb card that work, and a plethora of 1gb and bigger cards that dont work. Those are ones that were sold as "compatible to old cameras"
I assume that all cards would fail if there was something wrong with the camera.

I have some 2G SD cards that worked in the R-D1 I owned briefly. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a few of them.

G

You might have some luck searching vendors for industrial/military/aerospace applications of SD memory cards. I noticed Panasonic has product available starting at 512MB, but not sure of prices.

Here's a link to ATP. They too start at 512MB at around $20 CAD and around $30 CAD for 1GB. Not cheap, for low capacity SD cards, but I suspect you might not have a lot of luck in the general consumer market finding the original 2GB or smaller SD cards (as opposed to SDHC or SDXC). You can also order these through MyDigitalDiscount. MDD also lists the Ridata 2GB SD card for $7 US but requires a two-week lead time.

From Wikipedia (note - they refer to the original SD cards as SDSC):

All SD cards let the host device determine how much information the card can hold, and the specification of each SD family gives the host device a guarantee of the maximum capacity a compliant card reports.

By the time the version 2.0 (SDHC) specification was completed in June 2006, vendors had already devised 2 GB and 4 GB SD cards, either as specified in Version 1.01, or by creatively reading Version 1.00. The resulting cards do not work correctly in some host devices.

SDSC cards above 1 GB:

A host device can ask any inserted SD card for its 128-bit identification string (the Card-Specific Data or CSD). In standard-capacity cards (SDSC), 12 bits identify the number of memory clusters (ranging from 1 to 4,096) and 3 bits identify the number of blocks per cluster (which decode to 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, or 512 blocks per cluster). The host device multiplies these figures (as shown in the following section) with the number of bytes per block to determine the card's capacity in bytes.

SD version 1.00 assumed 512bytes per block. This permitted SDSC cards up to 4,096 × 512 × 512 = 1 GB, for which there are no known incompatibilities.

Version 1.01 let an SDSC card use a 4-bit field to indicate 1,024 or 2,048 bytes per block instead. Doing so enabled cards with 2 GB and 4 GB capacity, such as the Transcend 4 GB SD card and the Memorette 4GB SD card.

Early SDSC host devices that assume 512-byte blocks therefore do not fully support the insertion of 2 GB or 4 GB cards. In some cases, the host device can read data that happens to reside in the first 1 GB of the card. If the assumption is made in the driver software, success may be version-dependent. In addition, any host device might not support a 4 GB SDSC card, since the specification lets it assume that 2 GB is the maximum for these cards.

Bottom line from reading the above is with a 1GB or smaller SD card, you should be OK. It's with 2 and 4GB SD cards that you may run into problems, depending on what SD protocol version the Epson R-D1 uses (and there are different versions of the R-D1, which each might differ - the X version is SDHC compatible and looks like the S version is just a firmware update of the original).

Are you sure your cards are formatted to fat16 file system? I think you can even format larger cards to fat16, there's just 2gb of usable space visible..

Bottom line from reading the above is with a 1GB or smaller SD card, you should be OK. It's with 2 and 4GB SD cards that you may run into problems, depending on what SD protocol version the Epson R-D1 uses

Mind, the SD 1.10 specification was released in 2001, years before the R-D1. It is rather unlikely that any revision of the latter did not support 2GB SD cards (and all 2GB cards are SD - SDHC starts at 4GB). 4GB SD is a different matter - while a few of them existed, these never worked in cameras as they had to be shipped with an alternative file system (usually something out of the Linux world for licensing reasons) as the SD native FAT16 is limited to 2GB. All 4GB "SD" cards I've ever seen are mislabelled SDHC cards.

If the camera consistently refuses to read SD cards, chances are that there is something wrong with the card slot - many issues in there are mechanical (dirt or bent contacts) and can be fixed.

Thank you everyone, it was a software issue anyways.
I got some of the incompatible cards working by formatting them to fat16, 16it block on computer first.
Apparently formatting in camera does not do the same thing.

Now I feel stupid.

Back