Source For Vulcanite

chuckroast

Established
Local time
1:15 AM
Is anyone aware of a source for vulcanite to do repairs on an M body? I realize the product is no longer made, but I have two very small patches to make on otherwise good bodies. I'd really like to avoid replacing everything with plastic or leather.

there really isn't such a product, it's all or nothing. there are some DIY repair methods however, to keep a small area from becoming a big area, using black epoxy, modeling putty, or similar.

there really isn't such a product, it's all or nothing. there are some DIY repair methods however, to keep a small area from becoming a big area, using black epoxy, modeling putty, or similar.

I know that DAG routinely patches camera bodies with vulcanite pieces he has laying around from years of doing repair work. My problems are small enough that I don't want to have to send it to him for this. I was just wondering if anyone has a supply of the material, NOS or used anywhere.

Once vulcanite crumbles it doesn’t take long til it’s dust, so I never saved any bits. Still need some material to hold the bits in place. Good luck!

I have some crumbling vulcanite on an 90mm elmarit. My plan is to try to stick the crumbling bits back with black silicone. My hope is that as it is more easily reversible than something like epoxy, and that the flexible nature will prevent it crumbling further. I have not tried it yet though.

I have some crumbling vulcanite on an 90mm elmarit. My plan is to try to stick the crumbling bits back with black silicone. My hope is that as it is more easily reversible than something like epoxy, and that the flexible nature will prevent it crumbling further. I have not tried it yet though.

Where I've had a chip come out, I've used Pliobond to reattach - a thin layer on the body, and another on the back of the chip. Wait until dry and tack together. Once the Plibond is cured, you can remove any squeeze out with a pair of tweezers pretty easily.

Back