Speed Graphic Flash Help

EPPaar

Peter from Savannah
Local time
9:40 AM
I have recently acquired a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Pathfinder to replace one that was stolen 50 years ago. It is serial number 412841 with a Graflok back so I assume it was made in 1949 or later.

I was surprised how much I remembered about operating the camera — it is a little like riding a bicycle - you never forget how to do it. The one thing I have forgotten, if I ever knew, is how to attach a flash to the camera. I cannot discover a way to add a mounting bracket to the camera. There is only the flat steel bar attached to the rangefinder. Also, any idea on where I can purchase the cables?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

The steel bars are the mounting bracket for a flash gun. I remember something about the wiring on the flash triggering the shutter, but I never used them (I only did outside or studio work with mine).

Try here:

http://graflex.net/

Congrats on your great find!

B2 (;->

I think you mean "Pacemaker", not Pathfinder. Anyway, the bulb flashguns attach to the side of the rangefinder with a quick release system, but if you want to use a modern flash, you could always just get an L bracket type flash grip with flash shoe on it and attach it to the tripod socket on the bottom. To electrically connect to the flash, it depends on which shutter your camera has. The Graphex shutter has a bipost connector. You can get a cable from Paramount with a bipost socket on one end and a pc connector on the other, or I'm told that cords for electric razors often fit the bipost connector, and then you could cut off the other end of the razor cable and solder a pc connector on.

Back