Spent an hour with a Q today...

Ken Ford

Refuses to suffer fools
Local time
10:31 PM
... and it impressed the heck out of me!

I drove down into the city to check out a Q at Tamarkin. They were having a mini Leica day with two Qs in attendance. I saw absolutely nothing about using the Q to dissuade me from buying one - I think it will work very well in 35 crop mode shooting RAW+JPG all the time.

It was very responsive, and the build quality was very good. I think it's time to sell a bunch of stuff and raise funds.

The Q is a nice camera, but my M9 is a bit more versatile because I can use 50mm with 18MP instead of cropped 50mm with 8MP with the Q. And EVF all the time... I don't know. Still like the rangefinder very much.

If you have kids then you should know that you can't use their stuff as you want and whenever you want :rolleyes:

There's a street in New York City name after that type of behavior...........

ONE WAY >

My oldest is an expert at it, youngest is really good about letting me borrow stuff.

B2 (;->

After digesting my thoughts on the Q for a few days I'm still very enthusiastic. I only have two minor suggestions that I wish could be accommodated in firmware:

1. Allow the upper back Fn button to be used for AF-ON in AF and selectable image zoom in MF; and
2. Allow the video button to be used for the crop mask mode.

That's how well thought out this camera is. If you're an M shooter, you'll feel right at home with the Q. My big decision now is whether to jump on a Q or save more for a digital M? I really think a Q is all I need.
That's how good it is.

I'm also very interested, and hope to have a chance to test or at least handle the camera soon.

I got a chance to handle it at Tamarkin a couple of Saturdays ago. Pretty impressive. Very usable DoF scales on the lens to.

Did you check out the Jay King exhibit?

Ok, so I went to the Leica Store on W. Broadway to look at the Q yesterday (yes, they have it). Wow, I was truly impressed. It is a mature digital AF camera from Leica. Truly fast AF. Feels great. EVF is the best I've seen. Unfortunately, I want one now.

Back