Spherical Aberration Solved!

The lens is a geographically complex singlet. (Looks rather like a sideways mustache.) Be interesting to see where this goes. Interesting article (there are also others). Thanks for posting.

Arl.png

The photo shows a Nikkor lens. Are we to understand that it's a prototype, the new invention having been installed in a Nikon mount? Is there a working prototype yet? This could be really big, if it is practical to manufacture. I believe it is too complex to grind. Perhaps it can be done using Leica's method of pressing molten glass into the required shape.

Clickbaity article makes fuss about incredible solution without actually explaining or even discussing solution. But you'll never believe what happens next!

Well, it is Gizmodo...

The original paper by the authors is here:
https://www.osapublishing.org/ao/fulltext.cfm?uri=ao-57-31-9341&id=399640

The lens cross-section does not have to look like a mustache. Whenever complex wavy lines are used in this type of work, it just means, "An arbitrarily shaped surface." The equation gives what the back of the lens needs to look like given what the front of the lens looks like. So there can be all kinds of variations, hopefully some that can actually be made.

Of course, with spherical aberration solved, there are still six more aberrations to deal with.

I find the head line "Scientist solves 2000 year old problem" a little difficult to swallow. Crude lenses were invented around 1600 in microscopes and I can assure you no or very simple math was used to create them. Only in the last 100 years has optical theory evolved to the point that aberrations are understood and corrected. So the headline makes me take the whole story as fake news.

I believe it is too complex to grind. Perhaps it can be done using Leica's method of pressing molten glass into the required shape.

That's what I was thinking. Grinding such a lens with traditional methods would prove difficult (and costly).

I'll be a true believer when Leica, Sony, Canon and Nikon are using this 'amazing' breakthrough. Until then...just a bit more internet hype.

Back