Spring powered Rapidwinder?

Harry Lime

Practitioner
Local time
9:48 AM
Tom, have you ever been tempted by the idea of designing a spring powered Rapidwinder? Sort of a low profile MOOLY for M cameras?

Might be an interesting engineering challenge. I wonder if you could fit a spring
big enough in to such a small space to power the winder for a full roll of 36 exp.

The Robot camera was smaller than an M (square half-frameish?) and if I remember
correctly managed to pull this off with one 'charge' of the winder.

cheers,

HL

Last edited:
Harry - Thou shalt check your inbox regularly! I did check mine and found your question today!!!
At one time as was working on a MOOLY winder for a M2. I had the drive without the shell and could probably make a case. The the inevitable happened - a friend showed up with a seadrenched MOOLY and needed the drive!
The biggest rpoblem with spring wound systems is that it is very difficult to keep a constant speed. The old MOOLY would do 12 frames on a wind up - the first 5-6 at a rapid rate and then slow down dramatically!
The Robot winders were better, but still would only do 19-22 frames per wind. The exception being the Luftwaffe Robot with the double spring.
The market and the cost of such a winder for modern cameras (or the old M2's) would be small and I doubt that one could be made within reasonable cost.
Nice concept though and if I ever find another MOOLY I will take up the challenge.

Not rangefinder, but somewhat on topic: Back in the late 50s/early 60s, I shot a lot of road races with a Practina FX with a detachable spring-wound motor drive. Worked well for the period, but as I dimly recall, was a PITA to keep adjusted/synced. Of course, this was a winder, not a full-sequence drive.

I have seen these winders but I have no idea how well they worked. looked really neat though!

I used my father's Robot (24x24 frame size) when I was 14 or so. The spring-driven "motor" was amazing quiet and lasted long. If I remember correctly, one complete 135-24 without "charging". Most amazingly was the crisp-sharp Schneider-Kreuznach lens (interchangeable but forgot the thread size ...)

Hey, Tom. It was just one of those crazy ideas you come up with when you're day dreaming in a boring meeting at work...
;)

But it would be interesting if it could be made to work.

I wonder how people would feel about not being able to shoot a full 36 frame roll on one 'charge'...

Back