Squeegee or not?

Squeegee or not?

• Squeegee

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Drip-dry

Votes: 189 67.0%

• Total voters
I use my fingers, just a quick swipe downwards when film is hung - gets rid of the excess. I do use a drop of Ilfotol "wetting agent" in final rinse. Never felt the need to try a rubber squeegee or chamois leather.

A tip I picked up somewhere (though I don't remember where) is to clip both ends of the film and hang it at a 45 degree angle with the sprockets on the top and the bottom of the film. The water then, if there is any left after shaking the reel a few times before unloading the film, drips into the sprocket holes and dries virtually without a trace. I've done this for as long as I can remember and haven't had water spots yet. I don't use Photoflo, either, FWIW.

I was intrigued when the salad spinner got brought up earlier (thanks, if that was you Thomas). Since I do not have a salad spinner, I tried flinging my extended arm around holding a reel of wet film in my hand. I do it four times with each half of the reel facing forward. It does fling almost all the water off so that I no longer have to squeege it to have it dry quickly with no dust. So after many decades of using a squeege with no problems, I no longer even bother.
Hi Bob,

I put the reel on on double piece of string and swing this until there are no more drops hitting the floor. Always had drying spots before adopting this practice, in spite of using photoflo and demineralised water.

Hi Bob, I put the reel on on double piece of string and swing this until there are no more drops hitting the floor. Always had drying spots before adopting this practice, in spite of using photoflo and demineralised water.

Excellent idea! I'm going to try this out!

After final rinse, 2m in 300ml (1 roll) with 5 drops Photoflo, hang dry, no finger squeegee either... just un-spool and hang it up... never any water spots!!

All water used is filtered water.

I should add, I dry the film a steam filled bathroom!!!! (10m of a hot water shower, turned off during Photoflo soak)

I was taught and have used (for 40yrs) a modified version of the squeegee method. After pulling the film from the Photo-floe I saturate a Photo Wipe in the Photo-flow. Fold it around the film an gently wipe it dry. It really doesn't take any practice to perfect and eliminates pesky water spots. FWIW my instructor studied under Arnold Gassan and that's good enough for me :)

I was taught and have used (for 40yrs) a modified version of the squeegee method. After pulling the film from the Photo-floe I saturate a Photo Wipe in the Photo-flow. Fold it around the film an gently wipe it dry. It really doesn't take any practice to perfect and eliminates pesky water spots. FWIW my instructor studied under Arnold Gassan and that's good enough for me :)

As long as works, it works for you....
No ONE way is THE correct way...

There was a time when I squeeged. Now no more. Few photoflo drops and demineralized water and I have a perfect negative.

For years I used a squeegee and was plagued with scratches on film. I now just vigorously shake the final rinse water (including Tetenal Mirasol) off whilst the film is still in the spiral, then hang to dry. No water marks and no nasty scratches. I am a reformed squeegeeholic.

Don't touch the film until it is completely dry. Are people in such a hurry they need to risk scratching the emulsion?

There are two kinds of people who squeeze film, those who have scratched film and those who will.

Photoflow in tank as usual ( if not plastic), hang, then have some in a spray bottle . Allow to hang dry.

That or join group 2.

+1 : NO squeegee (or fingers). De-ionized water + photo-flo. Hold diagonally for ~30s (short path for water to the film edge) then hang in a place with no air motion.

As long as works, it works for you....
No ONE way is THE correct way...
Exactly. What astonishes me is the degree of absolutism on this thread, often based on extremely limited personal experiences.

I've used chamois, squeegees, fingers, salad spinners, drip dry, alcohol drying, 45 degree drying, a film drying cabinet... They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Anyone who writes DO NOT EVER, about everything except their own system, is unlikely to have much idea of what they are talking about.

My own view, as I've expressed elsewhere, is that the best method for many people is whichever one they're not using at the moment; unless, of course, they are convinced that everyone else is wrong and that they alone have the One True Secret.

Cheers,

R.

Lots of things are spread on the net by those who know nothing but think they do and have been lucky so far.

All you need is a piece of debris on the film and your squeegee or cloth or photo sponge or finger will grab it and you will get a scratch . Same way your glossy car gets scratched or plastic window.

Hang it up, inspect non touching with a loupe and wipe any material to the edge if necessary. respray with spray bottle top to bottom and let it drip.

Keep things clean with air and water filters. I lost my spotting brushes years ago .

Lots of things are spread on the net by those who know nothing but think they do and have been lucky so far.

All you need is a piece of debris on the film and your squeegee or cloth or photo sponge or finger will grab it and you will get a scratch . Same way your glossy car gets scratched or plastic window.

Hang it up, inspect non touching with a loupe and wipe any material to the edge if necessary. respray with spray bottle top to bottom and let it drip.

Keep things clean with air and water filters. I lost my spotting brushes years ago .
Dear Ronald,

Highlight: true. So don't get any debris on the film...

I've been developing films for close on half a century, so I doubt it's "lucky so far". Yes, I scratched films when I was starting, but I haven't now for decades, with or without squeegees or fingers.

The argument in favour of wiping films is the greatly reduced incidence of drying marks, and slightly speeded drying times. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice. Please don't come back with the argument that you can't get drying marks from distilled water. You can. In fact, I find that I get drying marks with B+W film if I use warm air in my drying cabinet, but not if I use cool air. There's a lot of alchemy in photography, alongside the chemistry.

I'd never heard of the spray-bottle approach before. What do you see as the advantages?

Cheers,

R.

The always handy human squeegee

The always handy human squeegee

We 35mm users have it easy - simply run the strip between two (clean) fingers.

This strips off the excess water without harming your negatives.
Like Bon Ami it "hasn't scratched yet"...

Chris

Back