Stable ?

Nobody is really answering the question...

Well because there is no clear answer, it depends on so many factors like camera company, sensor size, focal length, OIS

Basically, you can see a benefit at any shutter speed that is prone to camera movement & within the ability of the sensor to move.

So even with long lenses with which the ability of the compensation will be limited because much larger shifts are necessary, you can still have some benefit at shutter speeds > 1/100s. The shorter the focal length, the easier it becomes to correct. But depending on the implementation that can even mean a shutter speed of few seconds.

The number of megapixels per se likely would not play a major role in benefit from IBIS.
Other factors - size of sensor, light gathering area per pixel - which affect dynamic range and noise at higher Iso settings, along with what you want to do with your photos - print A3 or larger, or just upload to a website, and the quality of your lenses are more important than IBIS. I don't see how IBIS would have greater benefit just on the basis of megapixel count. Resolution and Movement effects on image sharpness are different animals.

Anybody out there know or even have an informed opinion about the shutter speeds that benefit from in camera stabilization?

In a word, no.

I do find it interesting that the manufacturers say to turn it off when you are using a tripod. It gets me wondering about the algorithms and how they react to an image that doesn't need any corrects (my term). Are they keeping a few frames before and after as they do a dif to help guide the enhancements.

Still NO (at least from me).

B2 (;->

Or reads and think what is in the answers.

Shutter speed for IS depends on focal length and type of the camera.
Light X100V vs F2. 21mm vs 100mm.
You will benefit from IS with 21mm @ 1/2 and with 600mm @1/60.

Are you trying to get portrait under twinkling light @1/8 or panning jet powered dragster @1/200.

Is it electronic, focal shutter or honking mirror?

Can't help thinking that manufacturers have forgotten about the 'balance' in the hand of a camera.

Old camera bodies were heavy and balanced well with the lenses. Modern bodies are light but the lenses still have weight to them.

Just thinking how balance helps with hand holding and slow speeds.

Definitely. If I were given a job of doing street shooting today, my choice would be a Fuji X100V set to a high ISO and fast shutter speed - that might help me more than in-body stabilization - I don’t really know. It wouldn’t be surprising if Fuji were to add IBIS in the next iteration.

I would be surprised as well. IS requires space, increases internal heat and reduces battery life. After the OVF, the X100 is all about the convenience of an easy to carry camera.

In my shaky hands 1/125 sec works well for the X100F and X-Pro 2 (up to a XF 35 prime). I use 1/250 for the XF 50mm f/2 R WR. I own the XF 10-24/4 for situations where in-lens OIS is useful. If my interests required longer focal lengths then the new XF70-300mmF4-5.6 R LM OIS WR would work despite it's 132.5mm length and 580g weight.

Can't help thinking that manufacturers have forgotten about the 'balance' in the hand of a camera.

Old camera bodies were heavy and balanced well with the lenses. Modern bodies are light but the lenses still have weight to them.

Just thinking how balance helps with hand holding and slow speeds.

You're not wrong. The press toward lightweight bodies has certainly increased shakiness, especially when combined with smaller formats which magnify the effects of camera shake.

Back