Status Report on your Fixed Lens Rangefinder Collection?

My 6x7cm and 6x9 cm fixed Fuji rangefinders (also known as the Texas Leicas) are my personal favorites. My 6x7 (center) has a fixed normal lens. My 6x9 has a fixed wide angle lens. I use them more often than all the others.

My Canon Canonet QL17 G-III 35mm rangefinder (left) with fixed 40mm f/1.7 lens (also known as: Poor Man's Leica) was my favorite 35mm rangefinder until I purchased a Leica M6.

My Minolta Hi-Matic 9 35mm rangefinder (right) with fixed 45mm f/1.7 lens is a fine camera but I rarely use it.

Rangefinders by Narsuitus, on Flickr

My four are:-

Konica C35 - film in it at present,
Mamiya 135 EE - used earlier this year,
Olympus XA - the next to be used but
Yashica 35-ME (Black) - awaiting repair (glass cracked & loose).

Regards, David

Got rid of almost all of my 35mm fixed-lens rangefinders (replaced by P&S and scale focus cameras), so now it’s mostly medium format.

- TDC Stereo Colorist II
- Polaroid 360 Land Camera
- Fujifilm GS645
- Fujifilm GW690III
- Fujifilm GSW690III

A Polaroid 110a or 110b converted to 4x5 and a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 532/16 are still on my wishlist.

Ahhhhhh.....Stereo Realist Custom 1050, Stereo Realist 2.8 Model 1042 (very late production c. 1968. Seven 3,5 Realists, earliest serial # A0787 . Wollensak Stereo 10, KinDar Stereo

There are a lot of great cameras, but many of you forgot to answer the second part of the question, namely: what are the status'?

Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Nice collection!

:Ricoh 500ST + SP Winder - Cured my itch for a compact with a motor. Loud as heck. ...

Does it have the feature where if you press the shutter release button and hold it down, it takes the pic but doesn't advance? (as that is the loud part)

Then, you walk away and release the button when it is OK to be a bit louder.

My Canon AF35M2 has this.

Petri 7s: Bought this because I had a similar model in 1963. Lots of good features on it.
I've read that these have great features, but were not built very well. Has that been your experience?

Olympus 35RC: The one I use the most, but still have a love/hate relation with it.
I had one, and the rangefinder was not accurate, and the lens rings were hard to grab one without also grabbing the other. Not one of their masterpiece designs, in my opinion.

Nice exercise. I hadn't thought about singling out the fixed lens RF cameras.
All of mine have made good pictures for me, but the Retina Xenons can't be beat.

Kodak Bantam RF
Kodak Retina II
Kodak Retina IIa
Kodak Signet 35
Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
Minolta AL-S
Olympus 35RC
Olympus XA
Ricoh 500
Samoca-35 Super
Yashica Lynx 5000E
Yashica Lynx-14
Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35

That is one awesome blog/site you've got going there. I particularly like the history of each camera, and posted results. I'm bookmarking this thread so I can come back and read all of those when I get the time.

My 6x7cm and 6x9 cm fixed Fuji rangefinders (also known as the Texas Leicas) are my personal favorites. My 6x7 (center) has a fixed normal lens. My 6x9 has a fixed wide angle lens. I use them more often than all the others.

My Canon Canonet QL17 G-III 35mm rangefinder (left) with fixed 40mm f/1.7 lens (also known as: Poor Man's Leica) was my favorite 35mm rangefinder until I purchased a Leica M6.

My Minolta Hi-Matic 9 35mm rangefinder (right) with fixed 45mm f/1.7 lens is a fine camera but I rarely use it.

Rangefinders by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Nice write-up. Two questions:

1) Why cover the branding on the 35 mm's, butnot the the Fuji?

2) Why medium format? I guess you print large? Or maybe you like having fewer exposures per roll? I'm thinking of my recent scans of 35 mm, and there is plenty of resolution. I guess medium format wouldn't let you see the grain, but if that's your thing, there's always digital. Not challenging you, I'm just curious.

My four are:-

Konica C35 - film in it at present,
Mamiya 135 EE - used earlier this year,
Olympus XA - the next to be used but
Yashica 35-ME (Black) - awaiting repair (glass cracked & loose).

Regards, David

I've never heard of the Yashica 35 ME until now. Cool. Reminds me of the Vivitar my dad used to have when I was a kid.

It looks automatic except for rough focusing. What sort of battery(ies) does it use? Might be a good alternative to a more modern AF point & shoot, which would be fooled by glass and such.

I've read that these have great features, but were not built very well. Has that been your experience?

I had one, and the rangefinder was not accurate, and the lens rings were hard to grab one without also grabbing the other. Not one of their masterpiece designs, in my opinion.

The Petri 7s is a much sturdier camera than the later late 60s early 70s compact fixed lens cameras. I've never had a problem with either of my Petri cameras, but one was new in 1963.

The 35RC is a problem with the lens rings, I always set the camera up to shoot and forget to set to 'A' which messes up all settings, so I start over. My RF is right on but I did have it CLA'd.

Only 8 frames to a roll with 6x9 medium format

Only 8 frames to a roll with 6x9 medium format

- Why medium format? I guess you print large? Or maybe you like having fewer exposures per roll? - I'm thinking of my recent scans of 35 mm, and there is plenty of resolution. I guess medium format wouldn't let you see the grain, but if that's your thing, there's always digital. Not challenging you, I'm just curious.

One doesn't need to print to a larger size to enjoy a 6x9 medium format negative. In comparison to 35mm, I like the way 6x9 cameras render an image on film. There is a smoother gradation between tones, a.k.a. tonality, for one. Also, the effect of grain is noticeably reduced for what I'll refer to as a cleaner look.

See the link below for a couple of examples:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73622&page=30

Big fan of the minis, eh?

You don't like the (original) XA? That's the one most of us go for.

[Deleted my note; must have read that in a fog.]

That is one awesome blog/site you've got going there. I particularly like the history of each camera, and posted results. I'm bookmarking this thread so I can come back and read all of those when I get the time.

That IS a nice site. I'm surprised I have not yet stumbled into it on my many research outings.

I have 3 Petri cameras, from 3 sources, and, ALL three had the same issue -- with the 45 degree mirror for the rangefinder having come loose. Fortunately, it's an easy repair, since the tops come off easily, and it just takes a bit of glue to reset the mirrors.

My Petri 7s, f1.8, makes sharp images, but, I don't get out with it, as it feels less refined, in comparison to Canon, Oly, Minolta, Konica.

I've got a dozen or so fixed lens RFs in my collection. All the usual suspects. When I first started collecting, my goal was to find the ultimate such camera for my own preferences. As I've used each one for a test roll, at least, I have not warmed up to them as much has I'd hoped to. I'll still shoot one occasionally, but, prefer the speed, accuracy and flexibility of an SLR.

Actually, the RF I use most is the Voigtlander Perkeo III. So compact, with the medium format film. It really is nice to work with such large negatives.

One doesn't need to print to a larger size to enjoy a 6x9 medium format negative. In comparison to 35mm, I like the way 6x9 cameras render an image on film. There is a smoother gradation between tones, a.k.a. tonality, for one. Also, the effect of grain is noticeably reduced for what I'll refer to as a cleaner look.

[/URL]

All of the observations you made are true. I have a print that is not much larger than the 6x6 negative. It is just beautiful. There is just something very nice about a small print made from a MF negative.

The first time I did a 35mm contact sheet I was stunned at how wonderful the tiny prints looked. Sorry, they did not look that good when I printed them to 8x10.

I’m wanting to run a roll of Ektar through the Realist, and alternate lenses and double expose. Doing this will give 58 single images. Back in the day this was not done too often as labs were not set up to print 5P negs. Now of course scanning film solves this.

I'd gotten out of fixed rangefinders, until I found the Retina. Now I have a handful of those, I shoot them occasionally, or one time, the look for another I don't have. None more than $25.

Not shot with a Retina, but with a Leica iiiF:

48784028342_e2718874e5_c.jpg

Back