Sticky shuuter release button on GSN

BBB3

Local time
6:17 PM
Hello, all.

I'm working on a sick GSN today, replacing seals and the infamous POD.

Does anyone have any advice on freeing up a sticky shutter release button? I have removed the top plate of the camera, and have found that the button moves with a significant amount of resistance, as if there might be some crud within. On other GSNs that I have disassembled, I have found that the button moves freely with no resistance. I do not see a way in to the mechanism to clean it. Has anyone had experience remedying this problem?

Thanks much,
Bates

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Greyhoundman. Fortunately, the groove and tab are aligned correctly so, unfortunately, my problem remains.

On another disassembled GSN top plate I have, the button is completely loose in it's movement. In other words, I can turn the top plate upside down and the button slides all the way up, without being touched by me, with no resistance. When I turn the plate back upright, the button slides back down with no resistance.

On the GSN I am currently working on, the button is by no means stuck - it does move up and down - but it will not move on it's own like the above example does. I actually have to move the button myself. I am thinking that there must be some dirt or residue in the assembly. Perhaps if I allow a drop of solvent to penetrate the assembly, then work the button up and down, I can free it up. I am just concerned that the resistance is putting undue strain on the return mechanism when I cock the shutter, and I want this done right since I am also in the process of installing a new POD.

Thanks again, and I continue to welcome any suggestions.

Bates

Back