Stiff Focusing

ColColt

Established
Local time
6:22 PM
I recently bought a pristine M4 and initially put the 50 f2 DR Summicron on it to check focus. It was buttery smooth with this lens as was the Zeiss 35 F2.8 Biogon lens. However, on the M2, focusing became a bit more stiff with the Zeiss lens. That same lens on my M4 is just as smooth as the others.

What would cause such an odd occurrence?

Have a look at the cam on the camera side, dearie. There may be some interference or it's simply not rotating freely.

Good luck,

Mme O

Do they focus smoothly off of the cameras?

Have you tried pressing the RF on the cameras? Are those equally smooth?

The lens focuses smoothly when not on the camera. I did press in on the RF cam and the one on the M2 seems a tad more stiff...not sure if lubing it would be the thing to do, however.

I struck this on a screwmount body and it turned out that the lens mount flange was slightly distorted .. there was a piece of covering trapped under the edge on one side. I removed the flange and trimmed the offending leatherette back and refitted the flange and it fixed the problem.

What puzzles me is this is the only lens that does this. My other two Leitz lens and another Zeiss lens don't. Nevertheless, I'll look under the flange to be sure.

The lens focuses smoothly when not on the camera. I did press in on the RF cam and the one on the M2 seems a tad more stiff...not sure if lubing it would be the thing to do, however.
The thing to do would be to send it off to Sherry Krauter and have her check it. Qualified Leica repair people uses 10 or 12 different lubricants on the numerous parts of the mechanical M cameras. Different parts require different lubricants and none of them are available at Ace Hardware or Auto Pro.

To use the wrong lubricant is to invite trouble; to attempt to disassemble an M, service it and reassemble it yourself is to invite disaster.

Back