Canada Stolen Super Ikonta

Wayno

Well-known
Local time
5:01 PM
I've posted this in the general discussion forum, but just found the HK Photo Club sub-forum, so I thought I would put this info here as well...

I know that there is a fairly active Hong Kong group here at RFF, so I thought that I might pass on some info on my Super Ikonta IV that was stolen on Saturday just in case it turns up in a store or is offered to someone:

It was stolen when I was on the Peak Tram, but unfortunately I didn't realise until I was on one of the walking trails at the summit of the peak. I had half a day to spare in HK after a trip to Guangzhou before my flight home to Australia. I had kept the Ikonta in a bag around my neck for most of the time, but I stuffed it into my bag for the tram ride while I took some pics with a digi SLR. The guys who took it were pretty slick - I had noticed a pair who were a little pushy to get on the tram and who seemed quite interested in the SLR. They somehow managed to take the small bag holding the Ikonta out of my backpack, removed the camera and replaced the smaller bag before re-zipping my backpack. All I noticed was a slight bump to my backpack and (stupidly) didn't think anything of it at the time. Everyone was busy looking at the amazing view, so nobody else noticed either. I even got a picture of one of the guys, but I won't post it just in case I'm mistaken.

The Ikonta was a cherished gift from a friend and also contained a roll of film from my trip. I felt pretty gutted when I searched through my bag, realised it was gone, and it dawned on me how it had happened. I reported it to the Peak Tram office and also made an official report to police for what it's worth. The (Tessar) lens serial number is 1976054 and the camera was in a leather half case (with a slinky chain strap) at the time. There are several features which could identify the Ikonta, including my initials and the date I serviced the camera under the top cover. I don't expect that the camera will ever be recovered, but if somebody does happen to see it please contact me by PM or email (wayne.o'neill at deedi.qld.gov.au).

To add insult to injury my flight on Saturday night was cancelled and rescheduled for the following morning. Then there were a further three hours of delays while mechanical problems were sorted out, most of which we spent inside the plane, erghh... Anyhow I'm safely home now and really enjoyed most of my time in China.

Wow, what a story. I feel gutted, too. Very sorry that your stay in Hong Kong was marred by such an incident. I will keep my eyes open as I wander thru the various 2nd hand stores here, as I'm sure all of us RFF members in HK will do. Do you have the police report number, in case one of us spies the camera and wants to notify the shop owner?

Wow, what a story. I feel gutted, too. Very sorry that your stay in Hong Kong was marred by such an incident. I will keep my eyes open as I wander thru the various 2nd hand stores here, as I'm sure all of us RFF members in HK will do. Do you have the police report number, in case one of us spies the camera and wants to notify the shop owner?

Welcome back, Captain Ho! And congratulations!

Hey thanks Dingo & Mr Ho. I actually loved Hong Kong & just wish that I had more than a few hours to spend there. I wouldn't hesitate to go back given an opportunity (despite my experience, which could happen in any big city).

The police report number is 09012782. I got a nice email back from the Peak Tram people today saying that they'd advised their operations staff about what had happened and had circulated the picture of the suspect.

Here are a few (digi) pictures from my all too brief stay in HK:

Last edited:
Superb shots, Wayno! Always interesting to see what attracts the attention of visitors to this great city. You captured some great moments and cityscapes. What digi equipment were you shooting?

(And thanks, Dingo, for the congrats! I'll post a pic or two of my new son soon!)

Hong Kong is just a wonderful city. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you and your camera.

Love your shots, by the way.

I hope that your Super Ikonta turns up.

Superb shots, Wayno! Always interesting to see what attracts the attention of visitors to this great city. You captured some great moments and cityscapes. What digi equipment were you shooting?

(And thanks, Dingo, for the congrats! I'll post a pic or two of my new son soon!)

Yeah, we love to see your new baby!!! Shoot with an RF, he he.

Back