Strange Leitz Cam, What is it?

blue4130

Well-known
Local time
7:07 AM
So I came across this camera shell on an auction site in China. The seller has no information about it, he seems to be a clearing house for used stuff. It's stamped Leitz, and I am guessing it is some sort of industrial, possible medical camera. Anyone have further information about it?

1231918266 by Vance, on Flickr

-193765976 by Vance, on Flickr

-840001248 by Vance, on Flickr

I think that is an interchangeable back for the Adox 300 camera. Leitz must have used it for another camera as well.
nathan

More likely for a reproduction setup. In the fifties Leitz would cobble up special order reproduction stands etc. based on the column and baseplate of their enlargers They may well have used a film back by another maker and probably an enlarger lens.

My father had them build a microfilm reader consisting of a Valoy baseplate and column, special clamp to hold a Prado slide projector with modified lens mount for a Schneider enlarger lens, custom made microfilm holder and a 45 degree mirror to project the image down.
It doubled up as a microfilm enlarger.

However, looking at this thing again, it has a vaguely military appearance. Could it be part of an observation camera in a military aircraft? That would explain the strange lens mount system.

Hi I am new to the site, but spent 20 years selling Leitz microscopes.
The item is an interchangeable film back for a Leitz Orthomat W camera, often sold with an Orthoplan or Ortholux microscope.
It is made by Leitz Wetzlar although some were made by Balda I think.
Film type (colour or B&W could be changed mid roll in the camera without rewinding.
It was produced before I started in 1980 and was superceded by the Vario Orthomat with a zoom eyepiece and interchangeable back of a completely different design made by Wild- Leitz in Heerbrugg, Switzerland.
Kangaroo 2012

Hi,

Welcome aboard and congratulations on starting your first post with an answer instead of a question...

Regards, David

Back