Street photography and the homeless

I don't know if you're responding to me, Joe, but I didn't ask that. They're very specific questions if you'd like to answer them.

Still won't answer. Typical.

Perhaps if you feel your best service is to function as a scold, you can offer that service where a greater need exists for it. I'm thinking the vicinity of the Stock Exchange, or the US House of Representatives, or just outside the HQ of the National Rifle Association.

There are also many opportunities for ordinary, nonspecific name-calling and blame-gaming at Chicago-Detroit hockey games, Liverpool-Everton derbies, showdowns between right-to-lifers and right-to-choosers in the US Midwest! Many many venues where an ideologue can snarl, shriek, mutter blame to his lungs' content.

Here, however, maybe you could take a break from serving as the self-appointed peevish cynic, no? Take a walk and exercise your smile muscles?

As Roger says, cheers.

Last edited:
I never used the term neoliberal, I'm asking how it's ethical to be taking pictures of homeless people without their knowledge or consent. Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else.

:)

Yeah, I can do without the bitterness and arrogance of repeatedly asking a question that there is no right answer to, except what HE wants to hear. Why don't you drop it?

That is a deflection, like the others. Still won't answer?

Like Back Alley said, someone who dosent like to have their picture taken, would not like it whether they are rich or poor. Not sure what your getting at..

If a tree fell in the forest and there were no homeless people to hear it. Would it make a noise..?
Dont deflect..!

Ranchu,
Hey, did you ever think that different people, in different circumstances, would be OK with having their picture taken? And in other circumstances, not? Just like my link shows, and the Japanese homeless person story, some homeless people are very willing. Sometimes. It depends on the mood, time of day, how busy they are, the weather.....

Or are you are just trying to get every one of us, individually to answer you as to how we, personally would feel? And why do you think you deserve to probe into everyone's personal attitude, who, as I said above, will all be different with different answers? Unless, it's just some way to try to continue the rhetoric?

Pretty deep stuff, but again, you can just drop it, or keep jumping up and down demanding people "answer you." I don't answer people like that.

Or are you are just trying to get every one of us, individually to answer you as to how we, personally would feel? And why do you think you deserve to probe into everyone's personal attitude, who, as I said above, will all be different with different answers?

Because there is only one answer you would give, not different answers:

If I were homeless, I would NOT want to have my picture taken candidly without my knowledge, and posted to some photo gear forum.

If I were homeless, I would NOT want my photo taken WITH my knowledge, but without my consent, and be unable to stop the photographer from taking it.

If I were homeless, I could give 2 SH**s whether you take a picture and post it on a billboard in Times Square., Im homeless, I have more important things to worry about than a picture...
I dont have internet anyway, so I really dont care. Im Homeless.

Ranchu, how about the homeless you worry about where to sleep and eat rather than a random picture taken by a random idiot street photographer. Hypothetically speaking of course. :)

OK, fair enough. How many homeless people do you think agree with that? 20% maybe? 50%?

Taking your candid photos of homeless people, how do you as a photographer tell what they think? Do you just assume they don't care because you, in your hypothetical, don't?

Also, the second question specifically states they know you're taking their picture, do not consent, but cannot stop you. Do you feel it's OK to take their picture then?

I never said it was fine to do, I dont photograph homeless people, I dont photograph rich people either, figure they have feelings too, I only photograph middle class workers.

You insisted on people answering the hypothetical question that if we were homeless, would we want it. Like I said, I wouldnt care. Who cares how many homeless people agree with me. Im homeless, I can give 2 SH*ts about other homeless people, even if They were taking pictures of me. I have more imporetant things to worry about.

What is your point..

So according to you, only the feelings of poor people matter.. Or are you saying that candid photography of any human being is not ok..? Who are you to pick whos feelings are more important.?

Under your rule, street photography would become aquatic photography, I heard fish dont have feelings.. Is this a correct assumption.?

Personally (of course), ethics are very important.

I believe it is grotesque to say that the end result is all that matters, and "who cares" about ethics on how the end result was achieved.

Anybody may use any subject matter they want, but ethics are very very important.

Whether photographing the homeless is ethical is key to answering what it is that the photographer is trying to achieve and why they are trying to achieve it.

Otherwise, there is no sense other than egocentrism: the "I don't care how it was done, all I care is that it was done" stand is very dangerous at worst, intellectually lazy at best.

If the words "ethics" and "intellectually" are "too much", then the problem is a very weak grasp of the importance of intersocial communication.

Ethics don't matter in the least.

The photograph doe not require a pure heart for the button to be pushed. All it requires is for the button to be pushed to freeze time and be a witness to history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_in_Ukraine#/media/File:Einsatzgruppen_Killing.jpg

The back of the photograph is inscribed "The last Jew in Vinnitsa

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JBay0UlWV...BY+GERMAN+ARMY+MOBILE+KILLING+UNITS,+1942.jpg

German soldier shooting a woman with a child in her arms, Ivanograd, 1942

http://www.sickchirpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/nazi-germ.jpg

http://cdn.itsmeyourdani.se/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/s_w12_000000012.jpg

Photo is a victim of Nazi medical experimentation. A victim's arm shows a deep burn from phosphorus at Ravensbrueck, Germany, in November of 1943

I'm just trying to get someone to tell me why it's ethical to take candid pictures of homeless people, or pictures without their consent. It's the topic of the OP, not fish.

Back