Street photography with the M10 and one lens (summer trip to Europe)

Which lens would you recommend for the M10?

• 35mm 1.4 Summilux

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Canon 35mm 1.5 ltm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 (1937)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • CV 50mm 1.0 M

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Canon 50mm 1.4 ltm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summicron 50mm 2.0

• Elmar 50mm 2.8 M

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Heliar 50mm 2.0

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
You don’t say where in Europe. In Italy, except for some grand streets of Rome and Milan, 35 is not wide enough. I reckon 28 is better in old cities and towns in Europe. The drawing of a lens hardly matters, considering the content. I would have liked the 21 as well, but made do with the 28. I had the sharp and contrasty 28 Elmarit M 2.8. A bit much for an Australian summer, but good in the shaded lanes of an old town in Europe.
I think so too. IMG_1209 2.jpg Torri del Benaco (Garda Lake) 21mm
IMG_1169 2.jpgBolzano 21mm

Milan is one of our targets. I could use the Rokkor-M 28/2.8 or the Kobalux 28mm/3.5 if I wanted to use a 28mm lens. I find the 35mm lens fits better my photography and also the 50mm lens. I am not looking for capturing wide scenes. I look at smaller things around me.

Milan is one of our targets. I could use the Rokkor-M 28/2.8 or the Kobalux 28mm/3.5 if I wanted to use a 28mm lens. I find the 35mm lens fits better my photography and also the 50mm lens. I am not looking for capturing wide scenes. I look at smaller things around me.
Exactly, in our individual views of the world, we all focus on different things, in different ways

A local camera repairman (Major Red Owens) once told me "think of photographing small things around us" when I asked him what else other than the beaches and the Gulf of Mexico could I take photos of in Pensacola. This is why a 50mm lens is what I am used to be using most. I love this focal length. I love the amazing choices out there. Hardly any distortion in the images.

Like you, my home focal length is a 50mm with a 35mm when I need something a little wider or want to zone focus. Even with the differences in coverage, I take the same kinds of pictures with the 35mm and 50mm. Take any other two lenses and I worry about looking for two different kinds of pictures and it feels like the wrong lens is always on the camera. Whichever 50 you take, bring something with nice handling you don't have to mentally adjust to coming from the 35mm. That's my advice.

I constantly return to the obvious conclusion that I never really needed anything but my first camera, the M2 and a 50. I carried a v2 50 Summilux on the M2 all round Europe in my early 20s before that lens was stolen and replaced by the black Summicron. So much lighter. Next time that 50 Summicron, the 28 and the ZM 21 C Biogon 4.5.

I find I can use any lens as my daily lens. When I first got the 21 I put it on the M5 and just used that every day. I was inspired by Jean Loup Sieff who used the 21 to great effect, including so many shots that did not obviously indicate he'd used a 21.

I have more than one wide angel lens, none by Leica. Their design was for a film camera and not a digital sensor. My favorite is the Canon 19mm 3.5 ltm. Its protuding rear glass would damage the sensor of my M9 or M10. I also have a Rokkor-W 21mm/4 with a Leica adapter. Same problem with a digital Leica.

Thanks Raid. It feels special.

Back a few years I have happy memories of watching your daughters growing up in parallel to ours. Now, I take great delight in Dourbalisters pictures of his growing family.

I look forward to seeing pictures from your trip.

Mike
Thank you Mike. I am glad that RFF has such an effect on the members here.

I love 50mm and have gone on trips with only a 50/2.0, but if I'm honest I think it suits places like Florida or California better than Europe or New York. Of the choices you listed, I voted for the 35 Summilux, as I think it's the most practical choice. If you really wanted to take only a 50, I'd be happy with anything that says "50mm summicron" on the front.

That said, kids hate nothing more than their parents being too close, so you can actually get some context with a 50 lol, even though normally I would say 50 is too tight for an adult sized human if I want to capture environmental context.

I love 50mm and have gone on trips with only a 50/2.0, but if I'm honest I think it suits places like Florida or California better than Europe or New York. Of the choices you listed, I voted for the 35 Summilux, as I think it's the most practical choice. If you really wanted to take only a 50, I'd be happy with anything that says "50mm summicron" on the front.

That said, kids hate nothing more than their parents being too close, so you can actually get some context with a 50 lol, even though normally I would say 50 is too tight for an adult sized human if I want to capture environmental context.
TCM, you bring up a great point. For me.... (when i'm travelling) context is everything. I'm not doing a head and shoulder portrait...about the person. And if i'm sitting down watching the world go by, as i often do, i don't want to have to stand up and back up with a 50mm......(miss the photo op and disturb others). And inside.... many cool places are small and a 50mm is virtually useless. Of course that is how i experience the world around me & i don't expect Raid or anyone to see my way, or have interest in the same things i record on film.....or choose the same lenses. If I'm going to Antarctica or an African safari, i'd have to buy different equipment.

300791356_10158974090691958_1214635033825932540_n.jpg305889501_10159001787951958_5080096819010753734_n.jpg

Last edited:
My wide angle lenses that work with the M10 include Rokkor 28/2.8; CV 25/3.5; Kobalux 28/3.5; Canon 17/5.6; Zeiss 16/8; plus several 35mm lenses.
My 21mm lens is a Rokkor 21/4 with a Leica adapter, and my 19mm lens is a Canon 19mm/3.5 ltm. Both lenses will damage the digital sensor if I placed either one on the M10.

Last edited:
My wide angle lenses that work with the M10 include Rokkor 28/2.8; CV 25/3.5; Kobalux 28/3.5; Canon 17/5.6; Zeiss 16/8; plus several 35mm lenses.
My 21mm lens is a Rokkor 21/4 with a Leica adapter, and my 19mm lens is a Canon 19mm/3.5 ltm. Both lenses will damage the digital sensor if I placed either one on the M10.

I mean if it were me I'd rock the 28/2.8 almost irrespective of what make/model it was, but you didn't list it. 35 is absolutely fine, again I think in Europe 35 is going to give you similar compositions to a 50 in non-Northeastern US cities albeit with the differences in perspective/compression that comes from it being 35 vs 50. Also with the 35 Lux you have 1.4 if you need it when it gets dark.

I will say personally I absolutely despise changing lenses in the field and only do it because my usual combo these days is a tele macro and a 28 so there's too little overlap to press one into the other's job. So If you like things a bit tighter, why not just go 35?

At the end of the day, you will find a way to make the photos you want with the lens you have on you right? I see your join date is 2005, I'm guessing you've probably been photographing since before then. That is an awful lot of experience so if you are leaning towards one focal length, go with your gut.

I change lenses at the hotel, and only once each day. Carefully.
In the morning hours I usually favor the slower lens, and when it is late afternoon, I use the faster lens.
Using only the Summilux 35/1.4 makes sense., but having also some fun with another lens could be "good for the soul" :)

Back