Stuck in a creative funk

What I find a bit frustrating is gazing at the world constantly through the set of rangefinder framelines that seem to have implanted themselves in my brain ... especially when I see something that I feel would make a great shot and realise I don't have a camera with me! I like the idea of the 'Borg' implant method where the camera would be part of me.

One of the things that has always amazed me is how much more impact the still image has over all the alternatives ... it plants itself in your consciousness like no moving image can. I think that when you have the ability to freeze any particular moment in life, whether it be artistic or merely a record of an event, you are in touch with something special and no photograph lacks merit! :)

Most people, whether they admit or not, find themselves to be the most compelling subject they can find. Some people speak of almost nothing *but* themselves. So get a mirror or two -- you may find yourself fascinated by the resulting shots.

JC

I either just leave my cameras at home for a month until I can't stand letting certain scenes go uncaptured, or forget about creativity and just try my hand at something I haven't tried - architectural, portrait, whatever. I just try to mimic shots I've seen in the past. Find a willing model and pose them in a similar manner, or find a building that faces west and wait for sunset. I guess I am working on technical facets rather than trying to wow anyone with my amazing talent and sensibilities.

Lots of good ideas have been put forward and no doubt i will have a go at most of them if the need comes up again no doubt it will (it also gives me a excuse to buy a holga). By the way we should form a support group for rangefinder buffs that experience this ongoing problem.....my names Steve and I have no inspiration haha

As for my current block i think ive cured it
hope you like

Attachments

• Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
EcoLeica said:
Lots of good ideas have been put forward and no doubt i will have a go at most of them if the need comes up again no doubt it will (it also gives me a excuse to buy a holga). By the way we should form a support group for rangefinder buffs that experience this ongoing problem.....my names Steve and I have no inspiration haha

As for my current block i think ive cured it
hope you like

My name's Keith and I think you've overcome the block ... cool shot! :)

Read a book, 'Art & Fear' and understand what we all go through. Amazon will have it, and it's a cheap book that addresses this situation.

How about this.

Look through all the photos you took thus far, and try to find out what the photos you like have in common. It may take a while to recognize, but usually there'll be some common technique, type of lighting or subject matter.

That is your current style. Once you know what it is, you can either work to improve it consciously or alter it.

Back