Style is a clock without hands

fotographz

Established
Local time
5:33 AM
Several years ago i started 3 long term photographic projects:
waiting •all shot with the Xpan panoramic camera.
pursuit of balance •photographs and words
coffee cups and the "cup" •photos of left behind coffee cups as I find them and a cup, saucer and spoon I photograph as I travel. These types of endeavors really do live on the strength of how well you edit your own photographs.
...so give us a small taste of any photo work projects.
Show us your style

"there is nothing wrong with your eyes...just open them"
F.Jackson, 1996

Heres a current project which I am working on titled Spontaneous Relationships. Thats also the title of my exhibit that opens on March 6th. Some of these are not in the exhibit. Some are. Because of visual flow and space issues and editing with the curators some of these are not in the exhibit but are part of the overall project.

01_zps4a5baea2.jpg

IMG_6350BW.jpg

L1028142_zpsc461e890.jpg

L1007828_zpsd00a9c42.jpg

L1006193_zpsc54bde07.jpg

L1031338_zps9c52e0f4.jpg

L1015885_zpse501e692.jpg

22_zps0e176c6d.jpg

L1015256_1_zps65ba892f.jpg

44_zps39b935e1.jpg

L1002146_zps89c827ac.jpg

I have a handful long-term "themed" projects.

Although Vivaldi and Beethoven had it spelled out for their "Four Seasons" and "Pastoral", respectively, I am confident people can figure out those two and the following one without the program[me] notes:

Poster's Warning: the mixing of B&W and colo(u)r may be hazardous to purists' health, and can cause an extreme flaring of the "That's Distracting"s in pseudo-viewers suffering from VADD (Visual Attention Deficit Disorder).

Go "digging"

If you have been photographing for awhile as you go back through the images you will
start to discover that several may have a common theme. There is nothing wrong with mixing color and black and white WHEN IT JUST WORKS TOGETHER.
Don't let thinking about "the rules" get in the way of your vision.

...keep photographing and-
show your work!

cheers

One of my photo projects is a study of the outer Sunset and Richmond districts in San Francisco. All the photos are shot with an uncoated Summitar lens on cheap Kodak color film. It's not primarily a street project, but there are some street photos in it. Here are some:

Pinks and Greens by bingley0522, on Flickr

Bingley thank for posting but instead of my dictating what I think, let me ask you this. Which images do you think are working together and why and which ones if any are not and are they supporting a title or a theme?

Hard to answer b/c these are part of a larger group that includes non-street photos, so I extracted these from a context which may have been a mistake. That said, the first two fit more closely within the larger project b/c they include the particular urban environment that is the subject of the project. I'm kind of fond of the third shot for its color palette and depiction of an elderly couple musing over the beach scene. Lots of immigrants in this part of SF; one wonders what's on their minds when they contemplate Ocean Beach, having come far to get to this spot. Does that help?

Hard to answer b/c these are part of a larger group that includes non-street photos, so I extracted these from a context which may have been a mistake. That said, the first two fit more closely within the larger project b/c they include the particular urban environment that is the subject of the project. I'm kind of fond of the third shot for its color palette and depiction of an elderly couple musing over the beach scene. Lots of immigrants in this part of SF; one wonders what's on their minds when they contemplate Ocean Beach, having come far to get to this spot. Does that help?

Hey Bingley, I don't know how others feel but I certainly think we could all have a broader view and I would rather see images with a titled theme and images that support that in some kind of way and also support each other shown in this thread I could be wrong but I think that is the spirit of this.

So I say post away and maybe put the title to it and even some words or two about intent if you so desire.

BTW I really like the first image. Great use of color, space and geometry. Those pink buildings and pink shoes and ya caught her in perfect stride...

Hey Bingley, I don't know how others feel but I certainly think we could all have a broader view and I would rather see images with a titled theme and images that support that in some kind of way and also support each other shown in this thread I could be wrong but I think that is the spirit of this.

So I say post away and maybe put the title to it and even some words or two about intent if you so desire.

BTW I really like the first image. Great use of color, space and geometry. Those pink buildings and pink shoes and ya caught her in perfect stride...

Thanks. I'm not the OP and don't want to hijack the thread so I'll wait to see if the OP minds.

Back