Suggest me a M42 SLR camera!

Yes, I guessed it was a pre-set lens, from the look of the photo. I have a pre-Spotmatic (Pentax S1) that was recently CLA'd (new shutter curtains, etc) and it is a really nice little camera. I have a 55/1.8 Super Takumar and gosh, it is smooth in every way. :)

I don't know if you've started UVing the yellow out of your SMC Tak 50/1.4 yet (as you alluded to two weeks ago), but there's a dissident school of thought out there that says leave it alone. This is particularly true if you'll only use it for only B&W, full stop; or only B&W film plus occasional color shots on a DSLR where the yellow cast can readily be post-processed out. It serves as an inbuilt yellow filter, whereas most people have to find one and screw it on when shooting B&W. :) This topic has been discussed widely, deeply, and frequently on Pentaxforums.com (probably in the "Takumar Club" thread IIRC).

--Dave

Glad you are liking your M42 Pentax lenses. I think they were some of the finest ever made. And the old preset lenses were sometimes incredibly sharp, just cheaper as preset than auto stop-down.

I once had a Sun (I think) 135mm preset in M42 mount. I actually never used it but by inspection against light, it appeared quite sharp. I never used it as I gave it away to someone to whom I owed a debt. I liked it because of the apparent sharpness, and small size, and I hope the person I gave it to was able to enjoy it as well. I still have a 400mm preset in M42 mount that is quite sharp and I have used it. Big gangly thing, but it is light and takes very good photos.

This thread has surprised me by the number of people who tout Fujica cameras and lenses. Especially the M42 mount (of course that was a requirement of the OP). Also the Yashica TL Super (my first SLR) and TL Electro. I think the Electro was the only Yashica camera that could be found selling with the Yashinon 50mm f/1.4. It became a very sought after lens and sold for incredible prices on ebay, but I don't know if its performance justified some of the ebay prices, even though I have found the Yashinon lenses to be surprisingly good performers. My point being that if you find good prices on either Fujinon or Yashinon lenses, give them a try. I doubt you will on the Fujinons as they have always commanded pretty high prices. They were just really good lenses.

Of course, any lenses that old may have been poorly taken care of, so you won't know until you try them with film.

Back