Suggestions for Landscape Book?

giganova

Well-known
Local time
2:17 AM
Hope you are all doing well in these special times!

I am looking for recommendations of a good landscape photography book since I have a lot of time on my hand to study books.

I am fascinated by Sally Mann's "Deep South" (I have a signed edition), Michael Kenna's "Hokkaido" (I have a first edition with the unique bamboo binding), and also enjoy Todd Hido's "Bright Black World" (I have a signed edition), as well as William Ewing's "Landmark - The Fields of Landscape Photography."

Any other landscape books you could recommend? Black & white preferred ;)

Thanks!

Pentti Sammallahti's "Here, Far Away", while not strictly a landscape photography book, has quite a few remarkable landscape photographs. I'd recommend this book unreservedly anyway - it's beautiful.

Collecting ideas from other artists is something I do all the time. But do your own landscape series, you can do almost anything you want just be yourself. I'm not big on landscapes but but I did this one for the heck of it and even though it wouldn't win a prize, at least I did what I wanted.

AristaEDUultra100 AristaDeveloper by John Carter, on Flickr

By the way, I like Todd Hido very much, but I haven't tried to copy his. Well, I did once but it didn't work out: images through a car window that is rain soaked.

Sounds like you're a fan of "neo-pictorialist" and classicist landscape photographers.

Check out Fay Godwin and An-My Lê. Maybe Thomas Joshua Cooper.

Giganova, I'm not sure which specific books to recommend. Check out the landscape photos of Paul Strand and Laura Gilpin. Both were incredibly wide-ranging artists but their landscape work (I've seen prints)in the southwest was impressive.

Collecting ideas from other artists is something I do all the time. But do your own landscape series, you can do almost anything you want just be yourself. I'm not big on landscapes but but I did this one for the heck of it and even though it wouldn't win a prize, at least I did what I wanted.

AristaEDUultra100 AristaDeveloper by John Carter, on Flickr

By the way, I like Todd Hido very much, but I haven't tried to copy his. Well, I did once but it didn't work out: images through a car window that is rain soaked.

That's highly accomplished and beautiful, John. Kudos!

Walker Evans, American Photographs is my recommendation. Also, The Work of Atget Volume 3: The Ancien Regime

Pentti Sammallahti's "Here, Far Away", while not strictly a landscape photography book, has quite a few remarkable landscape photographs. I'd recommend this book unreservedly anyway - it's beautiful.

Definitely. I have a signed copy from his exhibition at London's Photographers' Gallery - one of my all-time favourites. The prints were exquisite.

That looks stunning, but they seem to be between $500-800! :eek:

Back