Summilux 75mm 1.4 with Leica M9

There are differences when using both lenses wide open.
The Lux seems to me as the lens that paints the image. It is not as easy to focus with it wide open, but when the image is looking good (regardless of the level of sharpness), it feels to me somehow more inviting than the matching images taken with the CV 50/1 wide open. Technically, the CV is a better lens. It is difficult to describe such subtle differences.

The OOF of the Lux looks smoother to me than the OOF for the CV.
Take a look at my posted images for both lenses.
I may be wrong!
Both lenses are great lenses, but there are differences.

Thanks, Rob. Life is too short to miss having fun.

The 75mm Summicron must be technically a superior lens.
Imagine a person in place of our Jenny, and then take photos at apertures 1.4, 2.8 4. I often use these three settings. At 1.4 you barely get the yes in focus and maybe part of the nose :)

On paper. And so sayeth the testers. I briefly owned a 75 Summicron and cannot say I was terribly pleased. My particular copy could not hit acceptable sharpness, close-up or at distance; the lens lacked the character of the 50 Summilux ASPH upon which it is based on. Sent it to DAG for adjustment and started using an EVF; wasn't my thing. After parting with it and pondering a 75 CV or 73 MS Optics, a German 75 Summilux came to my attention before the astronomical price rise.

It truly is in a class of its own. Desaturated pastel colors, great tonal separation on a Monochrom (or B&W film) plus a pleasing bokeh; the overall effect on the viewer (despite a softer center resolution) is just...magical. Hard to put in words. Feel sorry for Rob and his seller's remorse. Some Leica things are meant to be passed along but as an inheritance.

I think that my Summilux is also German. I have taken care of the lens over the years, and it still "looks like new" to me. I also got at the same time a Summilux 35mm/1.4 then. If I had bought also a Summilux 50mm 1.4, it would have stopped my wishes for lenses to add to what I owned. The 50mm Lux "is too good" in my eyes.

I switched the two lenses around, snd now the Lux 75mm is on the M10. The CV 50/1 is on the M9. I wonder if the cameras play a role in the image rendering or not.

M10 with 75mm 1.4:
link: https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/Leica-M10-LUX-75mm-2022

The lens-the camera-and I

Leica-M10-LUX-75mm-2022-X3.jpg

Leica-M10-LUX-75mm-2022-3-X3.jpg

I was curious yesterday; how does the OFF change based on how far the [far] subject is from the lens when I focus on a close object? The guy vanishes after a while as he moved away from where I was standing.

Leica-M10-LUX-75mm-2022-24-X3.jpg

Leica-M10-LUX-75mm-2022-25-X3.jpg

Leica-M10-LUX-75mm-2022-26-X3.jpg

Leica-M10-LUX-75mm-2022-27-X3.jpg

Leica-M10-LUX-75mm-2022-28-X3.jpg

Thank you for these beautiful images.
Rob posted today that he regrets selling his Lux!
Yes, until now. I just got another one! I guess one way to find out if I can do without a lens is to sell it. If I buy it back, I can't do without it!

L1000811-Edit.jpg

Miss F in the garden. MM 75/1.4. Wide open, close up.

I love the 75 Summilux. I love the 80mm Summilux-R even more.

img920a.jpg

It’s even a wildlife lens.
Bull elephant, Okavango Delta, Botswana. M7, 75/1.4, Plus-X (cry cry), Xtol 1+3.

Kindly explain...

The 80 has similar definition to the 75 wide open but with different contrast; the overall contrast is lower but the fine scale contrast is retained. The 80 often looks, on the M10M using an R to M adapter, like a large format lens. I haven’t tried it on any other digital cameras but it should work the same and with many you should be able to avoid having to hit the focus button on the M10M to get the focus peaking and magnification (which you are likely to need) working.

I’ll dig some photos out next week when I’m home and maybe start an 80 Summilux thread, but I like that lens to stay cheap. Have you seen what cinematographers have done to 35mm Summilux-R prices?

Marty

Back