Summilux-M 35mm Pre-ASPH on the M Monochrom

borge

Established
Local time
3:27 PM
Does anyone have experience with this lens on a M Monochrom?
I have seen som lovely B&W's shot with this lens on film so I am wondering how it will perform on a MM.

I am currently considering a mint one with a serialnumber of 276xxxx which was manufactured in 1975/1976. Will this fit on a digital body without modification?

Having used the pre-ASPH for test shots on the M9, I can tell you that it performs the same way on Leica digital as it does on film. All "dreamy" wide open and sharper as it gets stopped down.

Cheers,
Dave

Why would you think this lens wouldn't be great on the MM?

I didn't. I assumed it would perform very nicely, but I am wondering if anyone has actually tested it on the MM - and if yes, if there are some example images available to see.

I am currently exploring this combination and it seems better on the MM than on the M9. Maybe the absence of the Bayer filter. I have a very good 1976 version 2. Elsewhere here TomA has has said that the later than 3000000 lenses are better.

The worst result is M9 close up when the 'glow' is appalling. More distant, not overly illuminated subjects look reasonable at f1.4 but with less contrast. At f2.8 and smaller it is very impressive and suits the Monochrom.

med_U28906I1567317996.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U28906I1566706099.SEQ.0.jpg

M9 at f4

med_U28906I1567318086.SEQ.1.jpg

There is one specific and a couple of general potential problems. Some of these have a shroud on the rear element that prevents them focusing to infinity on digital Ms. The film M lenses flare more off the sensor/rear element than newer lenses and many older lenses will need calibration to focus properly. The beautiful photos Flat_Twin and Richard_G posted show it doesn’t matter when these problems don’t manifest.

Marty

Back