Super Ikonta IV: Spare lens hood & case???

akalai

Well-known
Local time
8:10 PM
Just managed to come across an affordable Super Ikonta IV.

Only problem being that it has no case... not usually a problem but this camera has no strap lugs... and it seems the only way you can carry it with a strap is if you have the case.

So I was wondering if anyone might have a spare Super Ikonta case lying around unused which they might be willing to sell? <Also can anyone tell me if any of the earlier Super Ikonta cases, apart from the III, will fit the Super Ikonta IV?>

I am also after a lens hood. I think "A32" (32mm) push on type hoods are required...please let me know if I am wrong... so again if you have a spare you no longer need I'd be interested in buying it.

Cheers!

Have just discovered that Voigtlander made a 32mm push on lens hood. Does anyone have any experience of using one of these on a Super Ikonta IV? Does it fit or are there problems with it being a different shape to the genuine Zeiss lens hood?

As I wrote in my email to you (w/some additional edits):

As far as a case, I think your best bet would be a case from 1 of the regular Ikontas from the same time period, which I think are about the same size as the Super Ikontas (the Ikontas have no RF). However, the Super Ikonta III & IV were made pretty late & by that time, I don't know if ZI was still making regular Ikontas. I may have the case for my IV, but I generally just carry it around in the bag I usually have w/me anyway. The earlier Super Ikontas are significantly larger so I don't think you'll be able to use cases designed for them.

I have a Voigtlander 32mm slip-on hood (model 310/32) & its edges are too thick to mount on the Super Ikonta IV (works fine on the Super Isolette).

The best answers to your questions would probably come from the folks on the Zeiss Ikon Collectors Group list/board (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZICG/).

Congrats on the getting a IV. The Tessar on that camera rocks. One thing to watch out for is film spacing. The III & IV have primitive spacing systems that were based on the films made back then (which had thicker paper backings than much of the 120 made today). Even a full CLA will not eliminate the problem. With many modern films, you'll get frames that either overlap a bit (approx. 5mm) or have no space between them. Starting the roll a few inches/cm's past the official start mark can help, too. I've had the best luck w/Kodak & Ilford films, but the Fuji & E. European (Foma, etc.) stuff always overlaps for a few frames.

The Zeiss lens hood should not be too hard to locate on ebay. I found one rather quickly and at a good price. I also have a lens hood made by BDB that works well, in fact probably better than the Zeiss hood as it has a firmer friction fit and will not fall off as easy.

The Super Ikonta IV will fit into the case of other models. Mine is resting in the case from a Mess Ikonta 524/16. Same basic body, just the top rangefinder assembly is different. I have also had my Super Ikonta IV in the case of a plane old Ikonta B 523/16.

Cheers,

Russ Pinchbeck
PS: Check out my Super Ikonta IV service document:
http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/zeiss super ikonta.html

GOT TO LOVE THIS PLACE!

Thanks guys, that's brilliant, so much good factual info, something that is really hard to uncover here in OZ!

Thanks Chris for the detailed email... I am glad I held off on buying the Voigtlander lenshood... I thought there might be a problem with it's overall size but wouldn't have thought the lip it attaches onto the lens with would be too thick... that's where first hand experience is so valuable!

Now I just need to try and keep an eye out for a lonely Ikonta case. Chris if you come across a case (or a Zeiss A32 lenshood) could you please send me a heads up?

Russ, thanks too for your info. Your website is great and I am going to print out your Ikonta tear down instructions, read them very carefully, then take my camera to a proper repairman and let him do it! Haha, no way am I risking this camera to my limited skills!!!

Finally, you say you have a lens hood for your Super Ikonta made by BDB. Who are they? Are they a current company and if so could you please pass on their contact details or where you might purchase this hood from?

OK well thank you again people. All this information is very much appreciated as is your valuable time to get back to me.

Cheers!

Back