Tamron Inc still servicing Bronica

jim_jm

Well-known
Local time
8:34 AM
Recently had a shock when I opened the rear door to remove the film from my beloved RF645, and the door fell away from the body at the hinge. Apparently the metal of the lower hinge broke, although the camera had not been dropped or abused in any way.

I know Jimmy Koh no longer repairs Bronica, and I had heard conflicting info whether Tamron still repaired them or not. In any case, I wasn't too optimistic since I knew it would probably need a replacement door and parts are most likely getting scarce. Of all the cameras I own, this would be the one I would miss most - great control layout and features, and a reasonable size for MF. Perfect for hiking and backpacking.

Received a prompt reply to my email from Tamron, stating that they are still able to service Bronica, at least until the end of 2014. Just received the camera back from them exactly 2 weeks after I sent it in. The cost of repair was MUCH less than I had expected, as they just replaced the entire rear door. I notice the finish on the door is slightly different, so hopefully this is an improved part with a beefier hinge design :cool:

As I also have a fair amount of SQ gear, I'm going to let Tamron know how happy I am with their service and ask them to please consider continuing Bronica repairs past 2014. Any one else using Bronica equipment may want to contact Tamron to ask them to continue to provide this service. Their email is [email protected] .

I just got my RF645 repaired for a death of the electronics, and in the process I made replace the 135mm frame with the 100mm one. Here's the service centre:

EuroHiTech Photographic Services Ltd
13 Quad Road, East Lane Business Park
North Wembley, London HA9 7NE

I hope it will be as new. I love the lenses and the portability of this camera.

My Bronica RF645 has suffered the same fate as yours jim_jim. The lower film door hinge has sheared off.

I'm in the UK, so it looks like I'm going to have use EuroHiTech for any repair. When you say 'MUCH less than expected', how much did the job end up costing for the new door? And what was your experience with EuroHiTech mfogiel?

Thanks

This was the only camera that I sold because it was a dog. While the negatives I shot with it were stellar, the camera was always in the shop for one thing or another. As Spanik has mentioned, the vertical hold on the rangefinder is so delicate that a walk in the park would throw it off. The exposure compensation dial was always off "0" and so I ended up taping it to that spot. When I lost a day of shooting because the flimsy battery compartment opened up on the trail I was not happy. But when the film advance went, I said enough is enough and sold it. Perhaps I am too hard on cameras, as I bang them around while hiking etc, but my Mamiya 6 and my Fuji GSW690 have not yet failed me.

Just to update on this (nothing worse than an incomplete story):

I sent off the camera to Eurohitech here in the UK and they replaced the broken hinge mechanism for £140. Not cheap, but it seems like a good job and 6 months warranty to boot.

Jeez, the same thing just happened to mine and searched the forum not expecting to find any info. Seems to be a weak point, on close inspection I noticed that a plate close to the hinge has less clearance than the one at the top and fouled the hinge clearly seen by a mark on the hinge and over time stressed it to fracture. Looks like a manufacturing fault.

£140 is not cheap but seems their standard charge as I was quoted the same to adjust rangefinder. I did the horizontal myself as I needed to use it promptly and have been thinking how I could repair the hinge myself possibly using epoxy resin then drilling out a hole. I'll take it to them and see what they will charge for both jobs.

Back