techart Contax G AF adapter

Bumping this as I have the same question. Very tempted to the version 3 of this adapter.

I've seen a number of bad reviews on the net stating issues with focus accuracy and units just failing, BUT I'm aware there could be a hundred happy users not saying anything and I'm only hearing the squeaky wheels so to speak.

So, Any happy (or unhappy) users of the TechArt adapter on here?

There have been a ton of new updates to this adapter but I've yet to hear anything regarding the A7II's performance with it. I really want to pick one up though, but I don't want a $290 dollar waste of time. Anyone have experience with the G adapter on the A7II? I know it's supposed to be great on the A7RII.

hoping to pick up an A7II set up before the holidays, i'll try to shine some light on this as soon as i can, im also very curious if anyone has experience with the A7II specifically

the sample pics on this guys review are pretty compelling, but again its the A7RII
any thoughts on this post while we at it :D

Big thread at getdpi about this. A good friend of mine uses one and loves it. I have used his A7R-2 using the 45mm Planar and 90mm Sonnar. It's very impressive, feels like a native AF lens...

It's tricky to update firmware but the procedure is outlined at the other forum.

i only have a few complaints so far

-it's difficult to switch lenses, according to the manual you need to remove the adapter with lens> switch lens on adapter> mount new Lens + Adapter on camera

not only is this annoying when shooting run n gun style, its also kinda hard to put the lenses on the adapter. the G lenses already are tricky to mount, the adapter adds to the complication.

-it can hunt in low light but i havent compared it to native lenses, i cant imagine its the same as a native lens, but either way the manual focus is pretty easy to use and slightly more accurate with focus peaking. (i mean i can see what its focusing versus a little green box on the chin or something)

-it doesnt read the F stop, so it wont tell me in the meta data later or give me a light read if im curious. you can manually change the aperture in camera to match but i find it to be a step i dont what to do because im so focused on making an image.

if you have the lens aperture set to f5.6 and ur camera is set to f8 it will read light at f8 which is annoying, i have to set it in camera at max and the cam then reads light as the aperture changes

let me know if you guys have any specific questions. this is just a quick evaluation based on a few weeks of shooting, im still getting used to it

Back