Tempted by the dark side

Thanks Michael,

The list is now F3-HP, FE2, or FM3A. The only reason to consider the F3-HP is the high eyepoint finder as I wear glasses (can just about see the 35mm framelines on the R-D1). The FE2 is the sensible choice, the FM3A the lust choice (last of the line and all that).

If only Nikon would chuck a digital sensor in the back of an FE/FM type body :(

Terao said:
Hmm, I appear to have caught a new virulent strain of GAS from a friend who is looking for an old manual SLR. I'm completely amazed by the low(ish) prices highly competent cameras like the Nikon FE/FM series fetch, and it doesn't help that they look gorgeous in black paint. As a result very, very tempted to buy a Nikon FE2 and a bunch of cheap AI primes (so many sad little 20mm f/2.8s kicking about on eBay for little money).

Am I mad? Is there help available? Will I be cast out from these shores like a leper if I give in to this new urge? :eek:

I'm trying to convince myself that I'd only use the Nikon in situations that don't suit an r/f (telephoto, fast action) but I just know I'd end up using for other purposes...

You just thought you are out, then they suck you RIGHT... BACK... IN...

Magus,

I agree - Nikkors might be technically very good, but they do seem to lack soul.
Many of my friends are Nikon SLR shooters and they often see my RF shots and comment on the look (lens signature). Of the Nikons it seems only the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR has real soul, you can spot shots taken with one a mile off (particularly at large apertures).

I certainly don't intend using the proposed Nikon body that much, it will only come out for those situations where its better suited than a rangefinder body or on bright sunny days when I'm street-shooting and want to control depth of field (my rangefinders *only* have 1/2000th top speed). This is yet another reason for angling towards the FE2...

I'm ac/dc

I'm ac/dc

just look at my signature. I have always been out of the closet on this issue. I shot with whatever please me. I'm looking for a Nikkor 200mm/f4 ais right now.
BTW if I was a Nikon buyer right now, I would consider an F4. True Matrix metering with manual focus. Built like a tank. BTW, A Nikon has plenty of soul, just a different type. IMHO.

Last edited:
Yeah, its like the difference in soul between Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix. Both have their merits, I prefer Jimi :)

Having (now) lot's of Olympus OM bodies (need to get rid of some :) ), I still fall in love with the elegance of left-hand operated shutter dial, it just feel ... right!

Having said that, I'd soon get a Nikon way before anyone can convince me to get a Canon SLR (that said, I'm waiting for a Canonet QL17 as we speak :). So go ahead, classic SLR's are a blast to use, take a picture of, and to show-off to your DSLR-toting buddies ;)

Film rules! (trust me on this, I came from digital ;) )

Back