Terrifying M10 Issues

andba

Local time
1:27 AM
I recently picked up a pre-owned M10.

As a camera, it functions perfectly well. However...

I cannot get the WLAN/FOTOS to connect, or give me a QR. It spins forever and ever. I took it to Leica SOHO in NYC, the guys couldn't figure it out (after multiple resets, different SD cards, attaching an EVF, etc).

I posted on Leica Forums. Somebody had a solution which was more or less adjacent to things I've already tried.

Now, the left side of the direction pad has stopped working.

And when previewing already-shot images, there are flashing blue and red focus peaking areas for some reason.

Emergency! Help!

Thanks for any advice here (ideally advice that doesn't land this in the Leica NJ Hospital).

Try reloading the firmware, in the event that it is corrupt.

Beyond that: sounds likes an electronics failure.

Take a deep breath.

No this isn't an emergency.

The flashing areas of your reviewed photos sound like clipping indicators - a feature and not a bug in other words. You can turn this off.

But the non-functioning buttons are a concern: If you have the option of returning the camera for a full refund, you might want to consider it.

I think the way to enjoy Leica ownership is not to take it too seriously: Things break and are sometimes costly to fix, and Leica does not always get it right on the first try. Some secondary features simply don't work well and never will. While it would be nice if our cameras could be fixed and returned to us within a few days, sometimes Leica gets backlogged, or parts are in short supply.

If you feel that you have paid a tremendous amount of money and that anything less than perfection is unacceptable, or the prospect of a $1000 repair bill is going to ruin you, Leica ownership may not be for you.

And if you haven't done so already, try resetting the camera back to factory defaults and see if that remedies wifi and button issues - not impossible that the settings somehow got corrupted. And if that fixes it, enjoy your new camera!

And if you haven't done so already, try resetting the camera back to factory defaults and see if that remedies wifi and button issues - not impossible that the settings somehow got corrupted. And if that fixes it, enjoy your new camera!

That is, I believe, a good step to take. All that's been done so far seems to have made things worse, so why not go back to the factory defaults and start over from there?

When my M9 starting showing symptoms I sent it to San Francisco and in exchange plus a little bit of cash they sent me an M-A .

I've had no problems since.

Cars are not quite that easy, but then a car has a whole bunch more parts that have to work together than a camera.

Back