tests for new (to me) m8

grahamule

grahamule
Local time
8:30 PM
Hello all. I have been lurking around the forums for a while, but here I am with a post. I have a used m8 on the way from a merchant with a short return policy. I have read here and elsewhere of some seemingly typical/possible (depends on who you ask I suppose whether they are typical) problems with the m8. The ones I can think of off the top of my head being

a) vertical line (esp. at high ISO)
b) banding
c) ghosting / "green ghost"
d) any others people have noticed and are testable

I have yet only found anecdotal accounts of these, but I was hoping that someone might give me some specific test situations I could put the newly arrived camera through to see if I am dealing with any of these or not. I bought the camera aware of these risks, and I know it's possible they could turn up later, but I wanted to put it through some "worst case" situations if I could to see if any are already there before the return window is up.

Lastly, I apologize if this has been handled elsewhere; I am not too practiced at searching the forums yet. If this is the case, feel free to point me to the appropriate places rather than rehash.

Thanks a bunch!

Vertical line is caused by a hot pixel, which, in turn, is caused by cosmic radiation. The M8 has no automatic sensor mapping. Leica will fix it for free
Banding and ghosting are fixed since 2006

Thanks for the hints!

I got the camera and unfortunately it did have the vertical line. For those like me without any experience with the m8's, it is not hard to coax it out. Just take a high ISO pic with a dark background or with the lens cap on and it will show up. It is not one of those one out of every ten or more shots problems, it showed up for me on the first one.

The good news is that the *awesome* vendor and I worked out a solution. It is really great to work with honest and courteous people!

Back