The 10 most rare F-mount lenses

naren

Established
Local time
12:05 AM
I thought this would be a fun poll to do if anyone's interested (someone who certain of the answer would be good too). To me F collecting seems the most interesting thing to collect. Also this list may contain some not so early lenses also like the 300mm f/2 AF. Top 15 would be reeaally interesting...:)

hmm... as I've said elsehwere NOT really a whole lot of F collecting interest. C'mon prove me wrong!

So methinks there was less than 350 300mm f/2 AF lenses made. How bout the UV Nikkors? 55mm micro 1:1 ?

Well there's no doubt that F collecting is a growing hobby. I'm not sure there's that many at RFF involved in it. Early era Nikon F gear is really something to behold from a quality standpoint.

1. very 1st version of the 43-86 zoom

2. 28/2.8 non-AI, but lettering modern style

3. 80-200/4.5 AI (12 element)

There are quite a few rare lenses for Nikon F-Mount cameras, as they have been in production for 50 years and used in many applications. Special lenses made for NASA and other scientific/technical applications are all low-production.

Now, Rare lenses made for "the common user" that were oddballs, unpopular, or just short-lived are the most fun to go after. The 5.8cm F1.4 is not rare, but not as easy to find as a 50/1.4. It probably delivers an image that is close in look to the 1950s Leica glass. The 5cm F2 Nikkor-S is in the same short-lived, uncommon category, but was a real optical kludge.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

a quick glance at fellow Kiwi Roland's work reveals that every lens has a rare prototype model that would be impossble to obtain. Although much of the table was worked on "the highest serial number sighted minus the lowest" basis, many novelty lenses auch as the aforementioned 100/6.3 are indeed rare. So does certain fisheyes and N-type pre-AI telephotos, and of course the 1200-1700 zoom.

AF300/2 does not exist; there are actually quite a few AIS300/2 made, however many of those has been modified for cinematography and few remained intact in F mount. As far as I know, Bjorn Roselett owns 3, someone from Australia back in a while had one, B&H have one avaliable for $9999 sans the teleconverter right now if anyone has the spare cash.

Is the 200/2.0 AiS one of the rare ones? There is also the first version of the 55/3.5 Micro, one incredibe close-up lens even today. One of the pieces I kept from my SLR days.

The 25~50/4.0 AiS was never a big seller and is hard to find today, but I don't know how rare that really is.

You should have been around when I put the Nikon F with FTn Photomic head and 50/1.4 up for $100.

The Nikon F already went though it's collectors phase, with the premium paid for cameras, lenses, and cases matching up based on age. The early Brown Leather cases were going for outrageous prices, especially first version for the Photomic. Now, things have settled back down on the F and accessories. The F2 seems to have a run-up on prices or the cameras, but not as much for the accessories. Nikon lenses have gone up with the Digital age as Nikon retained compatibility. A few years ago, a Micro-Nikkor-P 55/3.5 non-AI was $25. prices are up a bit because of users.

I bought my F's and F2's either before or after the run-up. They've all had film through them, but are in categories of "beaters-Users-Shooters-mint". All are handled with care.

Last edited:
Oh dear, earlier this year I tried to get rid of a brown case for nikon F because it does nothing but draws fungi spores. Put it up on a local auction site and got a unexpected fanatical response. It sold for much more than what you'd expect for a neveready case. Also had the black bottom half case with my black F before I sold it due to space constraints....

Well at least I am very glad that the fad is gone, it is just lagging a bit in the rural slum I live in.

Maybe prices are back up again! I'll have to check. I picked up several of those early Nikon F cases for under $20 about 5 years ago, including one for my Photomic F "Bullseye". I keep a 5.8cm F1.4 on it, picked up fairly cheap.

So methinks there was less than 350 300mm f/2 AF lenses made.

Apparently a lot of these ended up in the movie business, converted to ARRI or PL (Panavision) mount. I was on a night shoot a few years ago and we were using one to shoot a 'burning' building from across a small canyon, with a Arriflex 435. Big piece of glass! That front element is huge.

I am not sure what are the 10 most rare but I can say that there certainly are any number of excellent F mount lenses that are great performers - even now. Overall the prices of manual lenses seems to have fallen a bit due to the fact that most DSLRs need a "chipped" lens for all of its functions to work. This applies even more to early non AI lenses which will not mount and function on later cameras. But there are also some desirable rarities that seemed to still be in demand. The 58mm Nokt Nikkor for example and the 300mm f4.5 ED. Both appear to be in great demand and attract a premium. I think I can say that Nikkor lenses are also beautifully made.

There are also many good lenses that are relatively cheap. The 50mm f2.0 is an excellent example being common and a great lens which turns in lovely photos, especially in black and white.

I am not sure what are the 10 most rare but I can say that there certainly are any number of excellent F mount lenses that are great performers

Agree completely! Before the D200, when only the expensive Nikon DSLR's could meter the older lenses, and the prices of them was really low, I managed to finally pick up my "dream set" which I couldn't afford back when they were new (so I went into Pentax).

20/3.5-UD, 24/2.8, 35/2, 85/1.8, 105/2.5, and 180/2.8. All of them are AI-converted with the factory part, except the 85, which was converted by my friend Pete Smith. I've used all of them on my Canon 20D with adaptors, but maybe one day I'll pick up a D3 when it's been replaced and the price comes way down.

I've heard or read that the chrome barrel 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor is quite a rare lens as well... so is someone who thinks they've got a pretty good handle on what this list is going to step up and make a poll?? I've read a few mentioned here that I don't think make the list, but it is really hard to say where the line is as far as a rare version of a lens or how to define these select lenses we would list... for instance the 20-60cm zoom I believe it is, in 1 touch or 2 barrel adjustments. I believe just the dual ring is rare. Does that make it unique enough or is it a big enough change to give it status as its own lens? I would say yes. I think also the 9 blade early 5cm, 3.5cm, 10.5cm lenses would be considered individually for such a poll although they were produced in great numbers thereafter with the same lens design...

Last edited:
not a rare lens but:
f86254a9d448120a81a5a8330a88dc6966c34e0.JPG

The 10 most rare F-mount lenses

Hey Guys,

How about the older Nippon Kogaku labeled lenses? I have quite a few of these older non-AI lenses made originally for the F. Had all of them AI converted by Nikon.

Evan

These come to mind:

1st gen 43-86 zoom

28/2.8 non AI

80-200 fixed f4 zoom with latest optics design (12 elements I think)

105/2.5 *PC* coated version. There are 5+ versions of the F mount 105/2.5, but I *think* the *PC* one is the rarest.

Back