The 100 Greatest Cameras Of All Time

Jason Schneider

the Camera Collector
Local time
10:50 AM
I compiled this comprehensive magnum opus 20 years ago in 2000, so some of the entries, especially the digital models, may be out of date. However, it's still a fascinating, informative fun piece that I've posted by popular demand on my new website, jasonschneiderthecameracollector.com. I welcome your comments, suggestions, impassioned arguments, etc. It's far too long to post here, but here's a link for your convenience:

https://jasonschneiderthecameracollector.com/f/100-greatest-cameras-of-all-time

BTW, if this doesn't display as a live link, please copy it and paste it into your bowser.

Thank you for the article.

I own a Yashica Mat-124. Over and out!

Also a Mamiyaflex C 1956. Mine has one knob for focusing.

My goodness, I see you have the 500c. Still use mine every once in a while now. Mainly a studio camera outfit for me.

Of course there is the M3.

I did own a SRT-101 but it didn’t last. Weird wide open f stop with the 50 that came with the camera.

What about the iPhone and iPad? Electronic devices have kind of taken over. Next is 5g.

Your link worked just fine with my iPad.

Thanks, Jason. I enjoyed reading through your list. It would have taken a lot of careful consideration to rank 100 cameras in this way.

I was pleased to see the Minolta Autocord and Mamiya C-series TLRs. I would have placed them higher, but that speaks to my own bias/enthusiasm for TLRs.

Minolta and Mamiya solved, most elegantly, a problem with the Rolleiflex TLRs and their more direct copies. Rolleiflexes draw the film up and bend it over a roller before the exposure, which can leave a kink in the film if left in the camera and not exposed in one session. Minolta solved this in the Autocord by drawing the film from the top, only bending over the roller after exposure. Mamiya created a straight film path, with no bending at all.

I was also pleased to find the Minolta SR-T 101 on the list, though I've always read that it was introduced in 1966 (rather than 1967). I think Topcon beat Minolta to full-aperture metering by a year, making them both pioneers in this area.

- Murray

I don't know that I've seen absolutely pristine examples of original 1950s Nikon SP, Leica M3 SS or Canon VI-T, but get the impression prices have really fallen since you wrote your article!

Inclusion of Compass at #100 is intriguing, hope to try one someday.

An epic and enjoyable list! Thank you.

Although I have 11 cameras which appear on that list, there are two art-deco gems which I wish I had: the Kodak Bantam Special and the Kodak Super Six-20. The latter is just an amazing camera.

Fun to read. To me most where quite obscure, some, of course, are iconic. Many great ones left out. To me this is not a greatest list but a, my favorite list. And that's OK.

Interesting to read your list and short description. Thanks. It must have taken a lot of soul-searching to come up with that list.

Thank you for posting that. Your list is an interesting read. There are so many milestones there!
It reminds me of a time - not that long ago - when we had our choice of many new film cameras.
I always looked forward to reading your column in a new issue of Modern Photography each month.

Chris

Lomograhy icons

Lomograhy icons

Too gearheadish. If not discriminate against of two lomography icons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TiAsvYgyqU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_(camera)

For the record I do not stand foursquare against the Holga and Diana, or crappy plastic cameras in general, or the whole Lomography concept (movement?) for that matter. I just think there are many low-end vintage cameras that are more satisfying to use and can capture a "dreamy" Vintage Look just as effectively and more predictably. Any old Kodak box camera that can take 120 film (such as my beloved Box Brownie #2) or the fancier but still stone simple Zeiss-Ikon Box Tengor, or any number of British box cameras, such as the Ensign, come to mind. Try 'em--you'll like 'em. Suggestion: affix a Velcro donut over the red window, and cover it with a matching round Velcro patch to prevent light leaks when you're not actually winding to the next frame. And always wind in subdued light. Have fun!

The Original Mamiyaflex C

The Original Mamiyaflex C

Thank you for the article.

I own a Yashica Mat-124. Over and out!

Also a Mamiyaflex C 1956. Mine has one knob for focusing.

My goodness, I see you have the 500c. Still use mine every once in a while now. Mainly a studio camera outfit for me.

Of course there is the M3.

I did own a SRT-101 but it didn’t last. Weird wide open f stop with the 50 that came with the camera.

What about the iPhone and iPad? Electronic devices have kind of taken over. Next is 5g.

Your link worked just fine with my iPad.

If your Mamiyaflex C of 1956 has a single focusing knob and long "feet" on the front part of the base, it's an original Mamiyaflex C which was made from 1956-1958. These cameras are heavy and lack many modern conveniences added on later models, but they'r charming, indestructible, and quite collectible since they're far less common than the Mamiyafex C2 of 1958 which had a flat base and right- and left-handed focusing knobs. Both are great user-collectibles, and I hope you'll run some 120 film through yours. Good shooting!

If your Mamiyaflex C of 1956 has a single focusing knob and long "feet" on the front part of the base, it's an original Mamiyaflex C which was made from 1956-1958. These cameras are heavy and lack many modern conveniences added on later models, but they'r charming, indestructible, and quite collectible since they're far less common than the Mamiyafex C2 of 1958m which had a flat base and right- and left-handed focusing knobs. Both are great user-collectibles, and I hope you'll run some 120 film through yours. Good shooting!

Yes, it is as you have described.

I have run some 120 through it. I think that most if the leader gets used as it takes quite a lot of it to get the arrow on the film to the arrow in the camera.

I re-skinned the camera, a few years ago and it looks brand new.

The film counter is in the knob that’s for advancing the film.

Have you looked at thissite for info?

http://www.gapatterson.org/

Smiles.

Rollfilm TLRs and their discontents

Rollfilm TLRs and their discontents

Thanks, Jason. I enjoyed reading through your list. It would have taken a lot of careful consideration to rank 100 cameras in this way.

I was pleased to see the Minolta Autocord and Mamiya C-series TLRs. I would have placed them higher, but that speaks to my own bias/enthusiasm for TLRs.

Minolta and Mamiya solved, most elegantly, a problem with the Rolleiflex TLRs and their more direct copies. Rolleiflexes draw the film up and bend it over a roller before the exposure, which can leave a kink in the film if left in the camera and not exposed in one session. Minolta solved this in the Autocord by drawing the film from the top, only bending over the roller after exposure. Mamiya created a straight film path, with no bending at all.

I was also pleased to find the Minolta SR-T 101 on the list, though I've always read that it was introduced in 1966 (rather than 1967). I think Topcon beat Minolta to full-aperture metering by a year, making them both pioneers in this area.

- Murray

I agree that the film path of Minolta Autocords and especially Mamiyaflexes may have marginal advantages in terms of film flatness compared to the system used in all Rolleifexes starting with the landmark Rolleiflex Automat of 1937. However the basic problem lies in George Eastman's original invention of 1885, namely paper-backed roll film, which can never lie as flat in the film plane as glass plates (the ultimate) sheet film, or just plain film as in 35mm and 70mm. The problem is worst at the beginning and end of the roll, and as you note, it's exacerbated if the film remains in the camera for a long time and takes a "set." Cameras with film plane focusing like the original Mamiya Six are said to provide better film flatness, and some sticklers who shoot with Rollei TLRs make sure their most important images never wind up at the beginning or end of the roll.

Back