The 40mm M-Rokkor CLE [some snaps]...

maddoc

... likes film again.
Local time
6:28 AM
I mostly take photos at night after work, either with the 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH or the Noctilux. Out of both, I find it easier to use a 50mm lens, it suits my perception better. Since the Noctilux is heavy and not the easiest choice for street photography, I was always thinking about getting a second 50mm lens like the 50mm Summicron-M. Then reading some older threads here I remembered that there is a 40mm M-Rokkor CLE in my cabinet, that I barely use ...

40mm is inbetween the 35 and 50, no M-Leica has frame lines for it but the lens is very small, sharp and fun to use. So I thought it might be better to give the M-Rokkor a spin before buying another lens. :D

Some of the following photos were taken in "snap-shot" mode, pre-set exposure, focus set to 3m and the camera secured with a wrist-strap in my right. I was either holding an umbrella or had some shopping bags in my left hand so no chance for focussing, just aim, shot and rewind.

3402826723_2da5a6c338_o.jpg

3416145769_5a770d2ca0_o.jpg

3416145925_951f27d1ac_o.jpg

Cheers,

Gabor

Some of these have a great feel, like you are right in the midst of street action--which you were! I like the leaflet, umbrella, and "Lawson."

I own a 40mm Rokkor and find it challenging to shoot w/ out the frame lines on my MP and M4. But then you kind of let go of that rigidity, and it becomes a snapshot, fun shooting lens. I think you achieved this.

If you are looking for a fast-handling, relatively fast 50 for night work, then I can't recommend the last pre-asph. summilux enough.

Some of these have a great feel, like you are right in the midst of street action--which you were! I like the leaflet, umbrella, and "Lawson."

I own a 40mm Rokkor and find it challenging to shoot w/ out the frame lines on my MP and M4. But then you kind of let go of that rigidity, and it becomes a snapshot, fun shooting lens. I think you achieved this.

If you are looking for a fast-handling, relatively fast 50 for night work, then I can't recommend the last pre-asph. summilux enough.

jja, thank you for the compliments !:)

I had the 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH (latest E46 with integrated hood) but sold it to raise some founds for the Noctilux. It was a great lens for sure but I couldn't afford having both ...

40mm on CLE or Hexar?

40mm on CLE or Hexar?

Hey, very nice. Just curious, these were snapped on the CLE? I was a bit confused b/c the thread was under the forum relating to the Hexar RF . . . Thanks, now I'll consider a 40.

Tim, thanks !! :)

No, they were taken with normal M Leicas (M2 and M5) but since the lens is made by Minolta I thought it fits better into this forum.

Nice shots, Gabor. I particularly like #5 and #7 for atmospherics. Impressive examples of night-time photography: what film are you using?

I've had a Rokkor-M 40/2 (CLE version) for about six months now, and I'm completely won over. I like it so much that I got an R3A for the 40mm framelines, and a 40 finder so I can use the lens on my Bessa T. I also use it on the M2. It sings in color and b&w:

3207925165_03070fc79c_o.jpg

3130358958_389f302618_o.jpg

3184284632_8fdd30fbf0_o.jpg

3312583351_0aeb1a8c1e_o.jpg

Steve, these are great !! I like especially your first one ! :)

My BW shots were taken with Fujifilm's Neopan Superpresto 1600PR (rated at 1600ISO) and developed in Diafine. When shooting BW I don't care so much about exposure anymore, one two meter readings in the beginning and that's it.

maddoc, your flickr photos were instrumental in my decision to take the plunge and buy astroman's 40mm M-Rokkor.

As an M2 user, I spent countless hours debating the merits of the 40mm and the frameline issue, but in the end simple economics won out - I can't afford a Summicron right now. Textbooks are expensive, and I'd rather travel and go out with friends using the 40mm than be stuck at home fondling a 35mm.

Also, since I wear glasses, I can't see the full 35mm framelines anyway - what I do see is more probably quite close to 40mm.

Now all I have to do is wait for the mail...

Cheers.

haha, maddoc, again we bought the same gear. the only difference is that i didn't get the m-rokkor lens, only the cle camera.

one of my friends is asking about the cle too, for he wanted to have a camera to use the m-mount lenses with, but smaller than the m6.

i think the price of 2nd-hand cle is going up.... :p

maddoc, your flickr photos were instrumental in my decision to take the plunge and buy astroman's 40mm M-Rokkor.

As an M2 user, I spent countless hours debating the merits of the 40mm and the frameline issue, but in the end simple economics won out - I can't afford a Summicron right now. Textbooks are expensive, and I'd rather travel and go out with friends using the 40mm than be stuck at home fondling a 35mm.

Also, since I wear glasses, I can't see the full 35mm framelines anyway - what I do see is more probably quite close to 40mm.

Now all I have to do is wait for the mail...

Cheers.

You where ***that*** much faster than me in getting that 40mm :)

Congrats, and good luck with the lens. If it does not work out, I'm also in Canberra and maybe that lens can get back onto its rightful "owner" (I mean, the CLE that it came from) :)

Oh man, I am so excited about this lens arriving in the mail in the next few days. I wonder what it would look like on my M2 :D

Thanks for the comments again !! :)

roundg, I am glad that I bought this lens from you !

AJ_W, I also wear glasses, so without pressing the eye-piece hard against my glasses, I see quit exactly what is covered by the 40mm field-of-view

deepwhite, now it is just a question of time until you will get the same lens :D;) I also have the Leica CL but is in my wife's possession.

Aaron, here a crappy snap of my M2 + 40mm M-Rokkor + 3rd party (heavystar) metal hood:

Cheers,

Gabor

Attachments

• NEC_1308_web_size.jpg
    NEC_1308_web_size.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 5
Nice work Maddoc.

This lens is the great value secret of the M mount world.

It was photos from this lens that go me back to film (and down the Leica paved road to financial ruin)

Stevens_2008-07-14 _F1560015.jpg

Steve, these are great !! I like especially your first one ! :)

My BW shots were taken with Fujifilm's Neopan Superpresto 1600PR (rated at 1600ISO) and developed in Diafine. When shooting BW I don't care so much about exposure anymore, one two meter readings in the beginning and that's it.

Thanks, Gabor! I just picked up a couple of rolls of Neopan 1600 to try... after seeing your photos above, I may have to try it out w/ the 40. :)

Back