The 4x4 Baby Rollei Club

Pirate

Guitar playing Fotografer
Local time
5:01 PM
Who's got 'em?? Let's see them!! Show us your Baby!

Also, I found an old Germany guy in Washington that repairs them. I found a lot of other places that Don't repair them...

2011_photo_a_day_number_7_by_dudewithad700-d36v25y.jpg

Last edited:
My Baby Rollei with it's larger sibling from the same year, 1938.

It's actually the model before the grey Baby. :eek:

Attachments

• 4x4_6x6.jpg
    4x4_6x6.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
So we'll make this the 4x4 Club?? Sweet!

There's 127 from Efke and Rollei in black and white now, and there's always trimming 120 film to fit - read how to do that recently but it doesn't sound too fun.

I thought the Rollei 4x4's started in '57 and ended in '63. The Gray's were the early models and the Black's where the later models. No?
My Baby Rollei with it's larger sibling from the same year, 1938.

It's actually the model before the grey Baby. :eek:

There's also Kodak Portra in 127 from Bhphotovideo and Bluefire Murano which is a c-41 color negative film from the Frugal Photographer in Nampa, Idaho. I've been doing much more color in the last few years. There's already a UK group which you may be familiar with. www.onetwoseven.org.uk

Jeff

Last edited:
I had a gray one way back when. Made gobs of "Super Slides". Loved it to death. It wound up in a repair shop that went out of business. I never got it back. I still miss it. Sad. :(

Do you have/use the Rollei Crossbird?

I use it and I am quite satisfied with the results.

I don´t have a photo of my baby rollei yet, I hope I will make one the next weeks....

Thomas:

We don't have Crossbird here, but we do have 'Nightbird' in 127. It is an 800 ISO color negative film. I haven't tried it yet. What is 'Crossbird'?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thomas:

We don't have Crossbird here, but we do have 'Nightbird' in 127. It is an 800 ISO color negative film. I haven't tried it yet. What is 'Crossbird'?

Jeff

The crossbird is originally a positive film for E-6 development at ASA-200 but sold as a "creative" film for cross development with C-41 here in Germany:

http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-crossbird-p-1784.html?language=en

The Nightbird is also available here, but I didn´t tried it up to now.

Does anyone know if you can use it as a "normal" color negative film at ASA 800 ?

I thought the Rollei 4x4's started in '57 and ended in '63. The Gray's were the early models and the Black's where the later models. No?

No, the first Rolleiflex 4x4 came in 1931. They were the first Rolleis to use a lever film wind! The production ended during the war. Then the grey model came out in the late 50's when "super-slides" were popular.

Do a search for "baby rolleiflex" on eBay and you will find many pre-war cameras!

Mine should be back and ready to shoot in another week-ish, so I gotta get some 127 on order quick like. I would love colour so I'll look into the Maco and Portra!

Back