The annual event in the making

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
1:36 AM
It has become a "tradition" each year to start thinking of which cameras and lenses to take with me on a family trip in the summer. I want to keep things light and high quality too. I also need to remove clumsy or time consuming photography with equipment that may not be suitable for a family trip, such as the Polaroid Land 250 or the heavy SWC.

option 1:
M3 + Hologon 16/8
M9 + 50mm

option 2:
M8 + Hologon for a 21mm crop
M9 + 50mm

I could add a very light m 4/3 camera to be used for portraits with the 50mm lens.

Well, for me, there would have to be a 35mm lens, no matter what else did or did not go. But I could never go with such small outfit! For me, the minimalist kit would be 24/35/50/75 with probably the M7 or MP Plus the M9. And then I'd throw the 28 in at the last minute. And let's not forget our SWCs! Raid, I wouldn't figure you to leave your SWC home!

No medium format? You have gotten some great photos in the past.

Still, I can understand minimal gear since my back doesn't like me any more.

I do have a small kit with a folding MF, a 9x12 folder, and a 35mm folding RF. I suspect I was trade the 35mm RF for a Contax or Yashica 103 and 3 zooms from 18 to 150mm. Or maybe not a stay with the RF folder.

Good luck in finding a choice you are happy with.

As always, I look forward to seeing samples of you vacation photos.

In hour shoes I had no doubts: option 1 !

The photo you have in the gallery with the Hologon + film are stunning!

robert

Option 1 sounds better, the hologon is so much better on film. If you must use the hologon that is. But then why do the longer FL on a digital camera? I would want my photography from a trip to be more consistent. Maybe leave the digital at home, use the 50 on the M3 as well and use the phone for digital snaps. Better yet, let your family handle the digital snaps and focus on getting your photography done before it annoys them.

Hello Raid, My two cents...I think the 6/18 is too limiting on a family trip and I'd go for a combo of film and digital bodies with faster 28, 50 and 80 lenses. Most importantly, have a great holiday! Cheers, Peter

Another option--take your D700 and a couple of good autofocus Nikon lens and leave the rest at home--it's the only kit you'll need!
Paul

As "Bailey" would say, "The Phone, the Phone, The Phone"!
That is easily shared, super results, often better than conventional cameras..
Easily shared, small prints available kiosks almost everywhere.

You are younger than me, maybe think out the "RF" bubble and take that DSLR.
2~3 lenses for Nikon D700, spare battery, don't forget charger..
I like your pix wth Hologon but..
Long zooms may change your view!

I travel with "Phone" and small point and shoot cameras that use AA rechargeable.
No film, no big cameras or lenses, simply a drive to download all images from SD cards.
I don't delete images from SD cards storing as film negatives..
I do however on arrival in South Africa (after 22+ hours),
have access to Daughter's Nikon Kit!

I don’t own any AF lenses for the Nikon D700, and I do not have any spare batteries either.
Thanks for your collective feedback.
I want a wide angle lens because we will be traveling through some scenic areas with natural beauty. The corrected view by the Hologon may be special, and it gives better looking images with a film camera. My past trips have resulted in 1500+ Digital images on average. This could be very costly if done on film only.
I could add a lens or two to either option 1 or 2.

Option 3:
SWC (lens has 21mm view)
M9+ 35/1.4 + 50/2
M3+ 16/8

It could work, but I don't need two "very wide" lenses on one trip.
It would maybe work as follows:
M8: 50mm lens (66mm view)
M9: 35mm lens
SWC
I could switch around the two lenses.

option 1: M3 + Hologon 16/8 -and- M9 + 50mm sounds ideal...
I would not add any additional lenses.

the question is what film would you take.

My (current) take on this very same issue (annual family vacation trip) is ONE _real_ camera for film (the biggest, baddest I want to take), plus ONE (good) digital camera for the snap shots. Last year's answer was:

- Travelwide (4x5 P&S with wide-angle 90mm Angulon, plus film & film holders)
- Sony RX100M3

If I had your cameras, I would probably take

Option 3b:
SWC (lens has 21mm view)
M9 + 50/2

YMMV,
MIke

Last edited:
These threads give me a chuckle. Why would anyone know better than I what lenses to take on a family vacation. It is not really an intractable problem.

option 1: M3 + Hologon 16/8 -and- M9 + 50mm sounds ideal...
I would not add any additional lenses.

the question is what film would you take.

I would take ISO 200 film. The Hologon is an effectively f 16 lens, so it is not meant for night scenes.

These threads give me a chuckle. Why would anyone know better than I what lenses to take on a family vacation. It is not really an intractable problem.

There always is one comment by someone that brings to me a new thought. I learn this way.

Back