The answer is probably "no" but...

That would be fantastic! I just looked it up, it's an M42 lens is that right? How do you focus on the Xpan?
I don't know, sorry. My Curtagon is a 35mm PA-Curtagon f/4 in 35mm ALPA bayonet mount. But, if you can adapt an M42 mount lens to Xpan, a 35mm lens has fairly forgiving depth of field characteristics. So you could likely use the non-shift Curtagon quite effectively as a scale focus lens for general imaging, although obviously, wide open and at close range, much more care would be needed to assure accurate focus.

In really low light, gaining one stop from f/4 to f/2.8 but losing rangefinder coupling seems a bit like taking one step forward, one step back, and then on step to the side. But then again, isn't a lot of photography chasing a series of compromises? :p

OP, do you already have a Xpan kit, but just looking for a bit more speed?

The Contarex 35mm Curtagon is an F4 lens and the adapter has no RF coupling. I am used to the Hasselblad SWC so scale focusing isn't a problem for shots from 3 meters. No external finder is necessary. I found if you use the entire built-in viewfinder it is pretty close to what the camera actually sees.

In really low light, gaining one stop from f/4 to f/2.8 but losing rangefinder coupling seems a bit like taking one step forward, one step back, and then on step to the side. But then again, isn't a lot of photography chasing a series of compromises? :p

OP, do you already have a Xpan kit, but just looking for a bit more speed?

Yes I have the first Xpan with the 45mm lens, it's my first film camera. I have a few digital Leica Ms and really fast lenses so it's a huge learning curve for me. I quite often photograph in low light circumstances and have, in the past, photographed theatre, jazz/rock gigs in bars with subdued lighting, or photographed for music festivals in similar circumstances. I've never felt like i needed a wider lens but I have definitely felt the need for a panoramic camera.

The Contarex 35mm Curtagon is an F4 lens and the adapter has no RF coupling. I am used to the Hasselblad SWC so scale focusing isn't a problem for shots from 3 meters. No external finder is necessary. I found if you use the entire built-in viewfinder it is pretty close to what the camera actually sees.

Oh man that sounds like several compromises have to be taken. I wonder if Hasselblad (or in reality Fujifilm) would have made faster lenses for the Xpan if digital photography hadn't taken over.

Oh I thought you were saying that it had a max aperture of f/2.8.
It does.

There is a conventional version of the 35mm Curtagon, the one I believe you have been interested in—and a shift version that permits up to 7 millimetres of rise, fall or cross—the 35mm PA–Curtagon. The former is a f/2.8 maximum aperture. The latter—f/4.

No rise (lens centred):
26180237109_d5ceff31a2_h.jpg

Maximum rise:
26180534589_551277e363_h.jpg

The PA offers the ability to move off axis but comes at the expense of one f stop. Mine seems quite sharp.

Who is delivering these adapters?

Who is delivering these adapters?

I owned an Xpan years ago and the 30mm lens to me was unaffordable at around $4000. I bought some adapters including Leica, Contarex and Contax C/Y to Xpan. I tried the Zeiss 35/2.8 shift lens, Contarex 35 Curtagon, and various R lenses. The Zeiss and Contarex covered the pano frame however there will be mechanical vignetting. There are light baffles if you look into the Xpan mount and they block both sides of the frame. You will still get a pano image with a few MM cut off on both sides. BTW the Contarex Curtagon is an extremely good performer better than the R mount version though I know they are supposed to be the same lens. If you want to go cheap you can try to find the Exakta mount Curtagon.
Who delivers the C/Y-Xpan-adapter? It was shown at photokina and i was so stupid not to buy. reseller is gone.
with this adapter one can adapt HB-V-lenses easily. HB-C/Y-Xpan two adapters.
measured from 63mm image-circle of the zeiss pc-distagon 35/2.8 i calculated +-5mm shift without vignetting. That lens is very highly appreciated by digital-pros.
I will use it on lookaround rotapancam for 360. NB: there is actually a Roundshot Super 35 on ebay it seems with C/Y-mount-has +-12mm shift. But charger is lacking and cam non-overhauled. too expensive.
Super 220VR with tilthead much better choice.

Back