The Bertele Sonnar 5cm F2 Picture Thread.

Out testing the Bertele on the X2D. Electronic shutter required for use with the non-HB lenses so you'd better have good light. It gets wonky in low light situations. Here are a couple of boat pics, surprise! Shot at f/5.6 and whatever shutter speed the X2D wanted.

B0001297rff.JPG

B0001309rff.JPG

I have started a group on Flickr for the Bertele and Bertele lens only, on any body. Let's support it or the world will only see my crap images associated with this wonderful lens. And that would be a shame. The Skyllaney Bertele Lens

Last edited:
Of note to a few, today we received another research ship. We get research and spook ships here in Astoria now and again. They must be desperate for a port for there is little we have to offer. Anyway, this is the Atlantis, mother ship to Alvin, the deep diving submersible. RV Atlantis (AGOR-25) - Wikipedia Run by the Navy and Woods Hole. M9 + Bertele on a grey, overcast and foggy day. summer was short here this year.

L1003130.JPG

And here it is again when we have a few rays of late afternoon sunshine. I identify the boats here with an app on my Android phone. The app is informed by the vessel's transponder. There was a Canadian spook ship here which turned off its transponder. Some ships do that sometimes after a couple of days. Sometimes the guys doing sentry duty on the naval ships may be non Navy as they are "uncovered" that is they are not wearing hats which is out of uniform if you are military. That's what passes for excitement here in Astoria. Yes, M9 + Bertele.

But, the ship, the ship, . . .

L1003131.JPG

Sonnars, sigh. I have no Leica lenses but have no feeling of loss. These photos show what a fine lens can do with shape, color and light. And that's the game. The CZJ is fine but the Bertele is The Chieftain o' the Sonnar Clan, hands down. I love mine and am grateful to have it. Brian does pretty well with his, too. ;o)

OK, time to see the flower gardens I have, the harbor here in Astoria, precisely The West Mooring Basin. In response to an overwhelming demand for another photo of The Atlantis, the Woods Hole research ship which has Alvin as its umbilical child.

L1003133.JPG
I love this lens. That is just how the ship looks, but just a hardly noticeable smidge better. To view it on Flickr:

I would like t see a test of the Skyllaney Bertele against a similar Leica lens. The Bertele colors are almost edible but not strained or artificial. For want of the technical word I would say they are "solid." The Bertele and the Amotal are my 50's. I like them a lot for image and color.

Back