Votes: 62 22.6%
  • M8

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • M8.2

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • M9

Votes: 40 14.6%

• Total voters
The M2 is simply the nicest of them all, especially in black paint incarnation.

Erik.

3759182326_da830a40fc_b.jpg

The poll is a bit premature. I had to vote for the M9 without ever using one. Film and digital just have to be kept separate when it comes to polls like this. I use my M8 all the time. When I pick up my M6, I instantly like the feel of it better and the viewfinder. I'm sure the M7 and MP would affect me the same way. But my M6 is just sitting on the shelf, mainly because I refuse to sell it. Let me be clear: I'd prefer to use the M6 every time, but I just cannot deal with film any more.

Everyone loves the camera they have. I'd like to a poll that says how many different Leicas have you owned and which is your favorite. Now sure how to word it though.

I have / had - IIIF, IIIG, M3DS & SS, M2, M4, M5, M6, MP and now M7. I vote M7 with the M4 for meterless. However, in reality, they were all great cameras. I've also owned a number of non-Leica RF's (Canon, Hexar, exc) and IMHO Leica beats them hands down.

Everyone loves the camera they have. I'd like to a poll that says how many different Leicas have you owned and which is your favorite. Now sure how to word it though.

I have / had - IIIF, IIIG, M3DS & SS, M2, M4, M5, M6, MP and now M7. I vote M7 with the M4 for meterless. However, in reality, they were all great cameras. I've also owned a number of non-Leica RF's (Canon, Hexar, exc) and IMHO Leica beats them hands down.

Um... (asterisks beside the ones I own or am using at the moment)

In the last 40 years or so, A, Standard, II, III, IIIa*, IIIb, IIIc, IIIf, IIIg, M2*, M3, M4-P*, MP*, M8*, M8.2*, M9*

For more or less extended periods, M1, M6, M6ttl. Never had an M4, M5, M4-2 or CL. Never wanted an M5 after handling one. Or a CL.

MP and M9 as favourites. Apart from bloody Adobe Lightroom on the M9.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
I love my M7, it's quick, and from my point of view a great start to combine both worlds. Many times written, its "eating" battery's and so on, but I think 2 spare battery's fitting in every pocket. It is just a question of attitude.

I think the M7 is the most mature M.

I'm with Erik, a black paint M2 is my favorite. When my M9 arrives I'm sure that I will feel a bit of the need to make that one triumph.

Black paint M2 or the MP, I voted MP as it is currently available and is the iconic culmination of what Leica has come to symbolize, quality, craftsmanship and longevity. Unfortunately no digital camera really has much of a life beyond 3-5 years technology being as it is, now if the M9 had an interchangeable sensor!

Edit: I must add that I have no hands on experience with III, M3, M4#, M5, M6, M7, M8 or M9 so my opinion on these is subjective ;-)

Last edited:
MP, best modern Leica. Which follews the IIIf, best Leica of all time (yes, I know, not "M" so not in the poll...) For those who require digital there is always the scan-the-negative-or-slide route.

All M cameras are the same, from M3 to M2 you get better made parts, then M4-M6 are the true workhorses, M7 and MP are Leica's afterthoughts but definitely top quality machines. The M8-M9 series is another story altogether. According to Leica the M camera differences are only in the viewfinder frames - so it's all about what is your favourite focal length really.

regards.

My vote went to the MP... after some "hours" of thinking.
The MP represents the very best of what Leica has achieved in its history.

IMO,
1) MP (somehow a timeless art)
2) M3 (the soul of Leica)
3) M9 [or M10?] (yes...it is digital, but full frame digital M is a new chapter for Leica and for photogr.)
4) M6 (workhorse)
5) :bang:

(Maybe I am biased...)

Last edited:
I've never owned a Leica. I hear great things about the M6 and especially the m7. I am getting the M9, because I prefer digital these days. So, I'd have to say the M9 due to this.

I have not used film since I bought a M8, now I have a M9 it is even less likely. Scanning film is my idea of purgatory. I used a M6 for 20 years and think the best made most precise Leica I have ever used was the M5, but that was unpopular because it was a bit bigger, and less pretty, which says it all really...
Now the M9 does everything I need, and when the next update comes along, it still will.

Back