the Chinon CE-3 Memotron

hap

Well-known
Local time
4:38 AM
will this camera be compatible with any M42 lens or does it require one with a "cam"?
How does this work? Are there many steps involved?
Hap

Seems that it is compatible with most M42 lens but perhaps not all.

"One thing to look out with both the CE-3 and AC1 is that it seems that some M42 auto-diaphragm lenses have pins that must be a little harder to “push” than others or that the aperture bar on the camera body has weakened over time. In other words, make sure to see if your camera body is able to actually stop a particular M42 lens all the way down and still meter appropriately."

Taken from this review:

I have one and have used Pentax Super Takumar, Yashica, Vivitar, Helios and or course Chinon with no problems at all.

As I can recall it stops the lens down while you half press the release button and meters then. Then it chosses the right shutter speed. Should work with all automatic diaphragm lenses (the pin is sufficient).

thanks....I wonder if the memotron would be able to use the later Pentax lens like the SMC Takumar which has an additional cam or tab that allows for aperture open metering on a Spotmatic F etc?

I would be very anxious about mounting a SMC-Takumar on an M42 mount with screws on the front of the mount. Notice that the spotmatics don't have screws.
Unless someone has actually done it, i would say no.

IMGP0313-2.jpg

Just to explain it a bit better. Here are two takumar lenses - a SuperTakumar (left) and a SuperMultiCoated Takumar (Right).
Notice the little pin in red - that will jam in the screws found on the mount of the zenit. A full diassembly of the lens is needed in order to remove it. That is why i say unless someone has actually done it, i would say no. The older Takumars should be fine.

20231215_221456.jpg

20231215_221517.jpg

Last edited:
Back